New hatchling found in wild--HELP!!

MandyD

5 Year Member
Hi all!! My name is Mandy, and my lab found a hatchling in our yard, literally minutes ago. My daughter, Alexis-9, wants to keep it. We've had red eared sliders before and older boxes, and I want this baby to thrive. I need immediate help on habitat, diet and so forth. Please, please, please help us FAST!!

We have a large hermit crab habitat that we purchased from PetSmart, that I'd like to put him in for now, thoughts?

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
East Bay area
Wow! In twenty years I have not had that happen to me so congratulations! We need to identify what kind of hatchling it is. Then telling you how to keep it is much easier. A picture is best for identification. Also please tell us where you live. At least which state. Much of turtle/tortoise keeping is very regional.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). We first need to see a pic to know how to tell you to care for it. I have never seen a crab habitat large enough for a tortoise, even a hatchling. They need a food plats, water dish, hide and several areas of different temps. Too had to do all this in a small enclosure. However, pics of the tort and crab habitat will help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mandy, and welcome to the forum!!

We'll need to know what kind of hatchling you've found before we can tell you how to care for it.

So, post some pictures, and tell us where you are (this may help us decide what it is).

(If you've had box turtles in the past, this might be a baby that has hatched from your previous turtles)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
welcome to the forum. or, the hatchlings could be the result of a neighbors keep of tortoises and it got out. haha. who knows.

0.1.0 Sonoran Desert Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
1.0.0 Bluenose Pitbull/American Bulldog

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Mandy welcome to the TFO . This tort needs a 12x12 pen , the most expensive light , ground gold bedding .
Alexis none of the above is true , but please keep the lab away from the baby
The lab sees it as a toy to play with . But till we can see a picture it's hard to
Tell what the tort needs other then keep the dog away from the tort . Have a great day

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Can't wait to see pictures so we know exactly what this baby is. How exciting! This must be a good omen of some kind. Glad you found the best place to learn to be a better tortoise host/keeper. Welcome, welcome! : )