New guy

Al-Jerau

20141001_213053.jpg Hi everyone. Good to know there's people out there with the same interest as mine. Myself and the wife have a baby leopard tortoise about 3 months old. We live South Africa and hope to get as much info as we can.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Can we see more pics. That looks very different then the leopards on here, at least too me.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Btw, he looks very, very dry. Please read Toms threads below in my post for raisng a leopard the hot and humid way which makes for a healthy and smooth leopard. The SULCATA threads will apply too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah...I'm not so sure that's a leopard tortoise either. You also have the padloper, parrot-beak and maybe some sort of hingeback in SA. I'll bet @Will would know what kind of tortoise that is.

Welcome to the Forum!! You've come to the right place to be with people who love tortoises!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, seeing his carapace more in the other picture, I guess it could be a leopard.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's a leopard.

Homopus(depending on location you are don't resemble that animal at all) or the size. Spring is near for you, so good weather to come soon to put him outside.

Where are you located in SA?

Here's some homopus babies.
Areolatus
image.jpg
And Karoo padloper
image.jpg
image.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
A leopard beggin for the pet name of Dusty. There is a group called 'Cape Tortoises' on Face Book where you might get a few lectures about permits and such, but also good info. An area with growing grass will do 90% of the humidity work that is detailed here on these pages if you are going with an outside all the time enclosure. Once you bring them inside, the enclosure, to well by the animal, gets more complicated. Good to see that little one.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Al-Jerau welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . This is what we call leopards ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1412723787.716480.jpg leopards rule . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome!

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Al-Jerau

Need some help. He take very long to open his eyes after soaking. Should I be concerned?

Burt0405

@wellington Btw how do you tell if your tort is dry?? I just got a baby leopard tortoise and im an obssesive mom so now im worried that mine is dry too.lol he refuses to take baths so thats partly why im worried

puffy137

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@wellington Btw how do you tell if your tort is dry?? I just got a baby leopard tortoise and im an obssesive mom so now im worried that mine is dry too.lol he refuses to take baths so thats partly why im worried

This one is dry looking, the whitish on the shell. However, if you have one under two, you should be soaking it every day for 20-30 minutes in warm water, keeping the water warm the whole time. Around the age of 1 you can cut it back to once every other day. Around two, you can cut it back lot if you see them drinking often on their own.
Always have a low sided water dish available to them too.