New guy with a question

jim taylor

Location (City and/or State)
Morrisville pa
Hello everyone

I'm Jim I live in pa. I have a sulcata his name is speedy. He was hatched March of 2015 I got him in July of 2015. I signed up to the forum cause it looks like a lot of people here have a lot of good info and really enjoy helping others. The question I have is speedy's mercury vapor bulb blew last night. I've been using a zoo med power sun 160w which has been working fine for me. I was looking last night to replace it and came across the mega ray brand has anyone used this bulb before there where only a couple of reviews for it. They say it the best bulb out there but 4 reviews hasn't sold me. Should I stick with zoo med and fill the warranty card out this time

Thanks and looking forward to getting to no eveyone

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I haven't heard of mega ray... but like ZEROPILOT said, a picture would help. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mega Ray is fine, but I recall them being in and out of business a few years back. Are they around now? And do they have the product in hand to sell?

Current MVBs are reportedly only making UV for about 3 months. Have you got a meter to check it with? They also run really hot and tend to dry out the carapace and contribute to pyramiding. I can't use them in my closed chambers because of how hot they are. I've decided to use other methods for indoor UV. I find that the Arcadia HO tubes make great UV and I use them in combination with regular 65 watt flood bulbs for basking heat. A CHE on a thermostat to maintain ambient and night temps, rounds out the array.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi, Jim, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Speedy. :)

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome, Jim and Speedy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Jim.

I buy the 100 watt Zoo Med Power Sun

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone. Found the mega rays on Amazon so I'm not sure if it old stock supposedly they come from mega ray and shipped from Amazon. I think I'm going to stick with the zoo med. I have him in a huge tank and the zoo med keeps it around 90 degrees on the hot side. I do not have a uv meter but now I'm going to get one does anyone have a good cheaper one to recommend. I no u get what u pay for will a 25 dollar one work for the handful of time I need to check it throughout the yr. I know some people don't like tanks but my tank is almost 5ft long 2 1/2 feet wide and 3 ft tall

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
If your ZooMed PowerSun bulb is less than one year old and you have the receipt you can ship it to ZooMed and they will send you a new one.

jim taylor

Morrisville pa
I will have to see if Amazon saves the invoices for things u buy cause I probably tossed it. I'm going to order another one anyway so I can keep them in rotation cause this seems to be a common issue. Do you know if they will take it back if the light still works but as tom was saying the uv part isn't putting out proper waves

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I will have to see if Amazon saves the invoices for things u buy cause I probably tossed it. I'm going to order another one anyway so I can keep them in rotation cause this seems to be a common issue. Do you know if they will take it back if the light still works but as tom was saying the uv part isn't putting out proper waves
Yes on both counts. If you order through an account you have with Amazon, there is a record there and you can print a receipt to use as proof. I have done it on a few occasions myself. And the guarantee is that it will still produce a proper amount of UVB, so if the light is working, but not producing UVB - they will replace.
AND finally... I would only use a good UVI meter and they run $250. The only one I trust short of paying thousands for "real equipment" is the solarmeter 6.5. As I understand it - the 6.5 is specifically made to read UV primarily weighted in the 295 nm range - which is the only range useful in D3 production in reptiles. Other UVI meters are cheaper, but give an overall UV reading that may look fine, but not enough is in the 295 nm range and there is no way for you to know that.