New guy

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
Hello All. My name is Kevin and I live in Houston TX. I just picked up my 1st tortoise, a redfoot. Its about 3 months old and I can already tell that it hasn't been kept after 100% correctly. He was kept in a aquarium with dry pellet sub straight and it appears that he may be showing signs of early pyramiding. I used to help my elderly neighbor in Arizona care after he 78 year old Salcuta Tortoise but this is my 1st one and Im nervous because hes so young. Any and all advice is welcome. I will eventually build him a nice table but for now he/she will be kept in a plastic container I have about 2' x 3' and 7'' tall. I have a heat lamp with a 50w bulb and a 13w uvb bulb but I don't have a night light. My first question I will ask is about temps. I know I should keep the basking area at 90 and his hide in the low 80's but I'm more concerned with night time temps. We keep our home at 76 degrees. Will a night light keep him worm or should I not worry about it. Question #2 is about sex. Is 3 months too early to know if its male or female???

Thanks
Kevin

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kevin welcome to the TFO from AZ . Kevin most torts take 3-5 years to sex to be reliable . And the 50 watt bulb isn't a coil bulb is it ? Because a coil light may save energy but not tort eyes . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hello Kevin welcome to the TFO from AZ . Kevin most torts take 3-5 years to sex to be reliable . And the 50 watt bulb isn't a coil bulb is it ? Because a coil light may save energy but not tort eyes . Have a great tort day !

I'm not sure on the bulb ty

Here's what I've got...from petsmart. Good or bad???

Also what part of Arizona are you from? I spent most of my life in SE Arizona.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    917.4 KB · Views: 17

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well Kevin we already helped and your tort will not loose his sight now . Have a great tort day !

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Kevin and Welcome. And looks like you getting some advice already. Welcome. Good to have you here.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Our house is around 72 at night. My Russian does well with it, as long as he is warmer in the day time.
I think you have to get below 60 before you have to worry.
Welcome aboard!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thanks for the warm welcome and valuable information, folks. I can tell I'm going to like this place.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kevin, and welcome to the forum!

1028762jld543t69m.gif