New from Scotland

Kimm91

Hi there I'm getting a hermann in a couple of months (for Christmas) finally after pestering my parents for as long as I can remember. Joined to learn as much as I can before I get my little guy/gal any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have done my own research online but there is soo much conflicting advice.

Kimm :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kimm, and welcome to the Forum!

We have an excellent Hermann tortoise care sheet. You'll find it at the top of the Hermann section here on the Forum.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Kimm91

Yeah I've been looking in at every wee bit on the forum thanks :) I have a problem in that I haven't been able to find a hermann breeder in Scotland just the pet stores of anyone knows of anyone around the Glasgow area that would be great :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kimm welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA. . Hermann 's rule .. I have Herrmann 's and they are a great choice . Have a great tort day!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hello Kimm from Scotland! I love the people of Scotland...my experience there was very pleasant. Sorry I can't refer you to a breeder there, but you can check online for breeders that can ship. You'll be sure to find Hermanns that way. Btw, that's an excellent choice for first time buyers. Hermanns rock:).

Kimm91

Thanks I've been having a look online I'd just rather pick the wee tort up myself I like to know where the animals coming from, just a personal preference I did just find out the lady next door has 2 hermanns so I'm going to ask her where she got them from fingers crossed it's been a breeder. How difficult is if to regulate humidity on a tortoise table?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks I've been having a look online I'd just rather pick the wee tort up myself I like to know where the animals coming from, just a personal preference I did just find out the lady next door has 2 hermanns so I'm going to ask her where she got them from fingers crossed it's been a breeder. How difficult is if to regulate humidity on a tortoise table?

It's difficult, if not impossible. With a tortoise table you'd have to have it completely closed up so that the humidity you produce doesn't escape. There are glass enclosures that you can purchase that will hold in heat and humidity that works very well. If you use a tortoise table, just make sure you have a top for it that will hold in the heat and humidity especially living in Scotland.

Kimm91

Thanks very much I thought that but I have read that tortoises are happier in a table and not glass. Just means I'll have to work out a solution thanks again for all the welcomes :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Thanks very much I thought that but I have read that tortoises are happier in a table and not glass. Just means I'll have to work out a solution thanks again for all the welcomes :)

You may want to build one out of wood instead buying a glass terrarium. Just make sure you use a plastic liner for the bottom so the wood doesn't get moldy. Look under "closed chambers" to see what some members created.

Merlin M

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hi and welcome, the ambient humidity will be fine just make sure the substrate (would suggest top soil or coco coir, or a mix) is kept damp and soak the tortoise a few times a week. Sorry I can't think of a Hermann's breeder in the Glasgow area, though am sure there will be some

Kimm91

Thanks everyone will have a look at the closed enclosures art just want my wee tort to have the happiest healthiest life I can give him :) I was going to use a top soil sand mix as that's what I had read where would I find coco coir?

Kimm91

Thanks had a look at my local pet store and they sell it to :) so should I use a mix of top soil and coco coil then?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Thanks had a look at my local pet store and they sell it to :) so should I use a mix of top soil and coco coil then?
Just check those care sheets and do what suits you (I'll probably go the cheap way) :)