new enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Okay so I have been in search for a large tub to hold my redfoot in since I heard those hold heat in and are less expensive then tanks. I found one that's about 45 gallon for only 15 bucks :D It's probably around 45 gallon tho...Okay so my question is I have a 150 watt heat lamp and a 75 watt UVB lamp is that enough heat in there? I checked the spots with the temp gun that one where the heat light is pointing is 86 and the cooler spot is like 78. I have a CHE if I put that in there would it help or is the temperature good enough in there?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
75watt uvb? I am not familiar with a uvb bulb labeled this way? Are you referring to a 75 watt MVB? Along with a 150uvb watt basking bulb...is this correct? And if so I would imagine your temps should be higher...how high do you have your basking 150bulb watt bulb? How high is your 75 bulb? Distance of bulb to surface...:D

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
ascott said:
75watt uvb? I am not familiar with a uvb bulb labeled this way? Are you referring to a 75 watt MVB? Along with a 150uvb watt basking bulb...is this correct? And if so I would imagine your temps should be higher...how high do you have your basking 150bulb watt bulb? How high is your 75 bulb? Distance of bulb to surface...:D

Yeah that's probably what I meant! :p I'm a newbie at these fancy words. I have it about. 19 inches for the basking bulb and 18 inches for the 75 bulb. I checked the temp again and it went down some :(

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
sulcatababies1402 said:
Is there anyway you could post a pic it would help a lot if we could get a clear view of you set up :)

I could but it would be really bad I don't have a camera I only have a phone that can take pictures but it's really difficult to get it into the frame and it would look really bad. Especially since it's in this corner with stuff around it. I tried to get a picture but it just wouldn't fit the frame right so it would show enough

It's starting to go up but it's like in the range of 72s on the other parts of the cage and the range of 85 on the part where it's suppose to be the hot spots

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Yeah but I'm asking what should I do to make it go higher like should I use the CHE? Or will it might get too hot?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
lol :D are you using a light stand for the 150 watt heat bulb? if so, then you are ok to lower that bulb a little until you achieve your 90ish range....you can also bring the mvb down a little...but not too low as it is your uvb source along with the heat....play with the height a little on the 150 heat bulb first ( lower it a little at a time, like an inch) then wait about 15 minutes and temp it again to see when it reaches the 90ish mark --mine is set at roughly 90-92 range on their hot side and the cool side drops to like 75-78 ish...and what are your humidity numbers? you say you have the plastic tub, you kept the lid right?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
ascott said:
lol :D are you using a light stand for the 150 watt heat bulb? if so, then you are ok to lower that bulb a little until you achieve your 90ish range....you can also bring the mvb down a little...but not too low as it is your uvb source along with the heat....play with the height a little on the 150 heat bulb first ( lower it a little at a time, like an inch) then wait about 15 minutes and temp it again to see when it reaches the 90ish mark --mine is set at roughly 90-92 range on their hot side and the cool side drops to like 75-78 ish...and what are your humidity numbers? you say you have the plastic tub, you kept the lid right?

I don't keep the lid on I have this plexiglass thing that I put over it but I will put the lid on and cut some holes for the lights and put little air holes on the side but I didn't have enough time for that yet. I'm also not using a lamp stand I'm using a clip thingy so it's kinda impossible to bring it down for all I know but if you have any suggestions I would try! (As long as it's cheap!)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
free is my favorite method (when at all possible :D)

so what do you have the tub sitting on right now? table floor? what man what???? LOL

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
carpet :3 but I just had an idea! :3 I saw duct tape close to me so I just duct taped the bottom clip onto the side of the tub to bring it lower. If not I'll just bring it closer :3 I wanted to avoid using a CHE because I keep smelling it burnt which I'm too worried to use.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
do you have two old chairs (the same seat height?) and a piece of plywood (prefer 3/4") that would fit the length and width of the bottom of the tub to offer support? and a piece of 2x4 that would reach the length of the top of the two chairs (the backs of the chairs)?

If yes to all :D then you can simply bring the chairs in line with one another facing front to front....put the piece of plywood on the seats of the chairs (like a little bridge :p) then place the tub on the piece of plywood, then place the 2x4 across the top setting it on the top (backs of chairs) of chairs...then attach your lights to the 2x4 and that way you can adjust up or down by giving slack or giving slack, which ever is needed to get your temps bang on.....then figure where you want your lights and then customize your cover lid with that light configuration in mind.....this works really well and if you have the items on hand (or can pick up a couple matching chairs from a second sale store) then you will essentially have free or near nothing cost and the tub will be off the ground.

Oh yeah, what do you use for substrate? How deep is your substrate? :p

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
ascott said:
do you have two old chairs (the same seat height?) and a piece of plywood (prefer 3/4") that would fit the length and width of the bottom of the tub to offer support? and a piece of 2x4 that would reach the length of the top of the two chairs (the backs of the chairs)?

If yes to all :D then you can simply bring the chairs in line with one another facing front to front....put the piece of plywood on the seats of the chairs (like a little bridge :p) then place the tub on the piece of plywood, then place the 2x4 across the top setting it on the top (backs of chairs) of chairs...then attach your lights to the 2x4 and that way you can adjust up or down by giving slack or giving slack, which ever is needed to get your temps bang on.....then figure where you want your lights and then customize your cover lid with that light configuration in mind.....this works really well and if you have the items on hand (or can pick up a couple matching chairs from a second sale store) then you will essentially have free or near nothing cost and the tub will be off the ground.

Oh yeah, what do you use for substrate? How deep is your substrate? :p

interesting idea! the substrate is cypress mixed with bark I think that's what it was called and it's around 3 inch deep and apparently one of the lamps fell down from the duct tape :( so that idea is gone

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
yeah...duct tape is a tricky tool to use sometimes....90 miles an hour rule sometimes just does not hold true in some applications....;)
Every one ok after the light drop?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
ascott said:
yeah...duct tape is a tricky tool to use sometimes....90 miles an hour rule sometimes just does not hold true in some applications....;)
Every one ok after the light drop?

Yeah luckily the tort was sleeping but it fell all over his food. I will try again but use 10x the duct tape!

Status
Not open for further replies.