heating problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Well I finally found a temperature gun that's worth the price :D! I got it at amazon for 16 bucks! It was like 40 bucks off so I bought it. So I just got it this morning and when I got back from work I tried it on the hot spot for my tort's cage and it was like 110 degrees!! :( but then I checked the cool spot where it's suppose to be a little cooler and it was 86 degrees! Grrr...I don't know if I'm right but I thought the whole cage should be around 85 degrees and the cooler spots should be like 80. The humidity is okay though. I did leave the light on all day because I don't have a timer but it's off now. I also have a UVB and a heat bulb shining at a slightly different place and the heat bulb is a 150 watt. I used to have a 75 watt but someone told me a 150 watt would work better (someone in the forum). The cage isn't that huge since the tort is only like 2-3 inches. So my question is should I switch back to the 75 watt? AAAANNNNDDDD!!! or should I just keep the 150 watt and turn it off like a couple times a day?

also temperature guns are fun! :D I was shining at random stuff all day! I also found out my big toe was 82 degrees :p

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Can't help with your temps not familiar with the requirments for Redfoots. Just had to say that temp guns are cool, one of my wife's cat's loves to chase to red light...

LindaF

5 Year Member
Lower the wattage. 150w seems too much. Try to 75w since you already have one. Also spraying and misting cools things down. My tort had his butt sticking out of his hide. His temp was 87. I love my temp gun as well.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
hmm yeah I guess I will just switch to 75 watt...but grrr...I will need to buy a new one since my last one broke :(

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i suggest double checking your temps with another thermometer before you jump the gun-lol... sometimes temp guns can be faulty... if it's not then adjust your heating/lighting etc...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Or, you can invest is a rather cheap thermostatic control which will turn the heat on and off as needed to achieve the preset temps.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Madkins007 said:
Or, you can invest is a rather cheap thermostatic control which will turn the heat on and off as needed to achieve the preset temps.

Yeah I'll see if I can do that but the temperature's are staying in the 85s now since I've been misting and spraying and pouring water into his house I also got the cage to stay more moist so the substrate is staying more warm then super hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.