UV/Heat lamp to far away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Longisland (Southampton) NY
I have a 150 watt heat/uv lamp that is 30 inches up and it keeps the warm side like 91 degrees. Is that too high up for the proper amount of uvb rays?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, your light is to big....too many watts.

I have my Yellowfoots in a insulated shed outside, and I keep the whole shed at around 80 degrees. Sometimes I'll turn on a light in there, but most of the time they just get whatever light shines in from the open doorway (which is covered with the vinyl strip door).

In order to keep the shed at 80 degrees, I have a couple pig blankets on the floor and an infra red panel on one wall. I also have three black lights in hanging fixtures that I have to turn on at night when its really cold outside.

Because my tortoises all have access to being outside (free choice), I don't bother with UVB lights outside. And IN MY OPINION, I don't think you really need the UVB lights for redfoots because they can get what they need from their food. Just my opinion.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If this is a Mercury Vapor Bulb, also check to see that you are not further away than the useful UVB range listed by the manufacturer. We cannot tell you without knowing the bulb brand. Is it a 160 watt, or is this a international (non-U.S.) bulb, as I haven't heard of 150 watt, only 100 and 160. 100 Watt is sufficient for MVBs for most torts (unless you are taking about a huge Sulcata or something). But, for a Redfoot or Yellowfoot, as Yvonne said, you should research whether you think you should use UVB. Many people think it is best to not use it. That is a decision for you to make though. Best wishes.

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
In my opinion, your light is to big....too many watts.

I have my Yellowfoots in a insulated shed outside, and I keep the whole shed at around 80 degrees. Sometimes I'll turn on a light in there, but most of the time they just get whatever light shines in from the open doorway (which is covered with the vinyl strip door).

In order to keep the shed at 80 degrees, I have a couple pig blankets on the floor and an infra red panel on one wall. I also have three black lights in hanging fixtures that I have to turn on at night when its really cold outside.

Because my tortoises all have access to being outside (free choice), I don't bother with UVB lights outside. And IN MY OPINION, I don't think you really need the UVB lights for redfoots because they can get what they need from their food. Just my opinion.

So they dont need UVB rays? But if I dont offer UVB do i have to supplement D3?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This is what Terry Kilgore, redfoot breeder (turtletary.com), has to say about this subject:

"They live on the edges of the forest.. which means they don't need a "basking" area.
My "indoor" enclosure ( for my breeders ) has ( 2 ) 18" strip lights at two different locations..
with "plant/aquarium" bulbs so they can see what they are eating!
UVB is NOT an issue with redfoot tortoises.. D3 is derived primarily from their diet.
Mine breed and lay eggs inside .. sometimes in the dark!"

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
This is what Terry Kilgore, redfoot breeder (turtletary.com), has to say about this subject:

"They live on the edges of the forest.. which means they don't need a "basking" area.
My "indoor" enclosure ( for my breeders ) has ( 2 ) 18" strip lights at two different locations..
with "plant/aquarium" bulbs so they can see what they are eating!
UVB is NOT an issue with redfoot tortoises.. D3 is derived primarily from their diet.
Mine breed and lay eggs inside .. sometimes in the dark!"

But tortoises SEE the UVA spectrum of light so how can they see if they dont have that?

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
I think the counter argument that I've read is that they live by edge of forest, they don't always live in it though. Beams of light still make it through to forest floor and red foots has been seem basking outside the forest regions. Red foots eye are evolve to adapt in darker envrionment but the function of the eye is able to dialatr and constrict according to intensity, redfoots can dialate much wider, that's all

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
redfoottorts said:
But tortoises SEE the UVA spectrum of light so how can they see if they dont have that?

They'll do just fine with a plain, old incandescent bulb.

redfoottorts

5 Year Member
fifthdawn said:
I think the counter argument that I've read is that they live by edge of forest, they don't always live in it though. Beams of light still make it through to forest floor and red foots has been seem basking outside the forest regions. Red foots eye are evolve to adapt in darker envrionment but the function of the eye is able to dialatr and constrict according to intensity, redfoots can dialate much wider, that's all

ok. So they dont NEED uvb rays and they wont get pyramiding from lack of uvb rays? but its good to have it? because my Lucy basks often even though the whole enclosure is in the 80's.

fifthdawn

5 Year Member
Redfoots can actually get their D3 from animal protein as can most omni and carns. It's an evolutionary adaption to living in forest I guess. But I believe they do bask and thermo regulate like most diurnal reptiles. I've seen healthy redfoots with megarays so extra UVB can't hurt since the body only synthesize D3 according to need whereas you can OD on D3 supplement. I don't think brightness should be a problem given the eyes function to constrict it's lens to regulate light input

technically no animal need UVB if you can provide the D3 in perfect amount. Since most don't know that amount, UVB is the insurance route. Terry has sucessfully kept reds without so it's doable. Even on cloudy days, UVB still leaks through likewise in forest UVB is present in the absence of rays. But any rays that do leak throguh, a red will take the opportunity to bask on it, forgot where I read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.