New enclosure lighting

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I just made my Redfoot a new 4x4 enclosure, and was wondering how I should go about heating it? I'm a bit confused with all the bulbs and intensities and am not sure which would benefit my tortoise the most.

It is an indoor enclosure and the house is usually 65 degrees.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
What I would do is set up two che's on a thermostat and put a two foot uvb/uva tube 10.0 for lighting .that way your enclosure stays at the right temperature anf you have enough lighting but its not to bright .Red foots tend to hide from bright lights .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it is an open top I would go with 150 watts . But if its a closed table you can get away with 60/100 watts .

I use two 150w reptile lights at the corners of my 4x3 foot enclosure, which keeps a basking spot at 105 and the rest at about 85.

In the night, the lights go off and 1 150w CHE in the middle keeps the enclosure at about 77-80.

Please note, it is a covered enclosure and the cover makes a HUGE difference in keeping the heat in.

Here's a picture...ImageUploadedByTortForum1388956988.824849.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Thank you for the info, it's actually half sealed off by wood, so I was a bit worried about the flammability. I think I will go with a 150 watt. Thank you!

Our CHE is on timer, 15 on 15 off. I should've mentioned that. Without the timer temps can get up over 90.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
You might want to check into a thermostat. It will cause the che to go off and on according to temps.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
AnnV said:
You might want to check into a thermostat. It will cause the che to go off and on according to temps.

Precisely the proper information in my opinion. All my heat sources, weather they are radiator type electric space heaters or CHE's are regulated my thermostats. Very effective and no worries of over heating.

Yeah, agreed. This was a quick solution. I sat and charted temperatures for almost two hours to make sure the timing is right.

Shortly, we'll put a thermostat in. Need to determine the proper kind. The other thing is a MistKing...

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I either use zoomed thermostats that I purchase on eBay for next to nothing or I use a more expensive, $45 digital one called a Lux WIN100.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Red lottus, keep us up to date on what you find. If needed, I can provide links for you for good prices, at least good for what I can find.

*crimson lotus. Sorry, my bad, as the kids say today Red lottus? What was I thinking? Lol

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Cowboy_Ken said:
Red lottus, keep us up to date on what you find. If needed, I can provide links for you for good prices, at least good for what I can find.

*crimson lotus. Sorry, my bad, as the kids say today Red lottus? What was I thinking? Lol

Hey, crimson is a shade of red, I'll give it to you.

And thank you, I am currently waiting on the heat lamps to get here before I look into a thermostat, but I would love some links!

And...I put a bucket in her enclosure, but she's been walking into it for about an hour now....should I take the bucket out?