new enclosure for A'tuin

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Finally got around to revamping the display case that I got off of Craigslist! built a second level, took out the shelving, replaced the back sliding doors with a solid piece of wood, and took the glass top off and replaced with a screen. Atu loves it! he runs up and down the ramps and is having a blast with the change of scenery from his old cage. this one is a little narrower than his last one at just under 20", but is longer at 70" (old cage was 2'x4'). the upper level is 16"x16". everything is painted with a durable exterior weather paint, and i caulked the flooring edges and stuff, since the sides all have that black plastic-y stuff that is water proof. Eventually i'd like to change it so that there are two whole levels that are lighted with the Tube lights, but that will have to wait for another season. This will be his permanent indoor enclosure, and come the spring i am constructing an outdoor enclosure that will hopefully be 4'x12' and vermin proof so he can stay out there through the summer.
IMG_20141118_152944.jpg

IMG_20141118_165217.jpg

bt9KTqAfiSM67xh4vZjOmJhLPtNuyd5C0L-WGzX3Bz4=w578-h682-no

for comparison, here's the old cage:
IMG_20140809_155801.jpg

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
he has his half-log under there that he likes to crawl into, so he has the option of the big space or the log. so far he has used the log about every other day for his nighttime sleeps. it's hard to see in the shots, but you are able to view under the upper level and see everything that's going on there, so that's why we stuck his log in that space.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Nice enclosure. You've put the recycled display case to good use.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Very nice....I like it! ! !

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Nice! I like what you've done to it! Will he let you grow plants? Always a nice addition;)

Last edited:

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
@Yellow Turtle01 - so far, Atu has bulldozed every plant, even if it's in a pot, he just bulldozes the pot too until the plant can be destroyed. I might have to try large clay pots that are too heavy to move =)
:D;)
Yeah, my russian is a little plant killer too... clay pots didn't stop, but you can try! :D:p I hope they grow!

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Since Atu has been outside all summer, it's given me a chance to re-re-re-re-do his indoor enclosure! I wanted something that was a little more durable, since, in his previous cage, he has completely destroyed/dismantled that upper level and was starting to expose nails and such by ramming the wood that made up that upper level. I have completely finished the cage, just waiting for it to air out before I put the dirt and ground accessories back in to the cage! I found one of those slimline LED light strips to put under the upper level, so I can now see under there easily. that's where his half-log will go. everything is coated in 3-4 thick coats of a grey grout, which will hopefully stand up to his claws for a while. If needed, I will just mortar or concrete the "rocks" to make them withstand the little bulldozer. =)

zKvj_ZgUzok4zIZCCw-KY5teKDc-AHTwP1FSqGUgjcw=w799-h599-no

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks very nice.
What do you use for night heat?
Do you find you lose humidity with the mesh?

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
for night heat we just use the ambient heat of the house, since he's an RT and doesn't need a steady temp day and night. it's usually 65-75 at night in his enclosure. I don't find that humidity goes down too badly for him, since he just needs about 40-50% at most, so when it dips lower, i just pour water in, about once a week, ad mist down the dirt to keep it from getting too dusty.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Wow! Great job, that looks so nice!
I would be very surprised if he plowed through that :p

I love what you did with the grout! Would look amazing in a terrarium. I'd love to know what kind t you used, is it waterproof?