Introduction to A'tuin

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Hello All,

thought we would introduce ourselves! My name's Anna, and my Russian tortoise is A'tuin. I found him off of Craigslist 5 years ago, from a family who's 7 year old daughter decided she wanted a dog instead. They had him for 2 years prior to this, purchased from a pet store in Bellevue, WA. According to previous owners, the pet store claimed he was around 5 years old, so just using that as a base guess, we put him at about 12 years old now. I know that's just a guesstimation, but I like to think of my pets on the younger side, so i can trick myself into thinking I have that much longer with them.

He was being kept in an aquarium with a fluorescent tube light and a heat light, in a pine shaving mix and fed romaine, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and carrots daily. They did soak him every day though and he got lots of run time outside of the tiny aquarium.

Since getting him, we gave away his original habitat to a reptile rescue, and had him in a rubbermaid bin until we could get him a proper tortoise table built. his table is 2'x4', has his UVA bulb on one end, substrate is sphagnum peat moss and organic top soil mixed. Since we live in a condo, it's not a huge space, but we have blocked off the balcony so that he can go outside on dry days and run around.

We found this site so that I could make sure that I was giving him the best I can, and I always need to refresh my care-taking information, since new ways and techniques are always coming out. I now have enough proof for my husband that when we get a house next year I can build him a larger indoor enclosure and a huge permanent outdoor enclosure! woo-hoo!

Current Weight of A'tuin: 430g
SCL: 12cm

He is currently being feed an organic spring mix salad with the Carolina Pet Supply TNT http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58 and a tiny sprinkling of the calcium that doesn't have phosphorous or D3, and is fed daily. He is also currently being soaked daily until we get the all clear from the Vet that he's better from all his medications (ceftazidime and some type of oral med, I forgot to ask but will do so this coming Sunday), and will then be soaked and weighed weekly for the foreseeable future. I will admit that I'd been slacking on his care in the past year, and I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my little guy. I swear on his tiny shell that I will be a better caretaker!!!

here are some other facts that might be helpful in future stuffs:

- no kids yet
- 3 other pets, 2 cats and a house rabbit
- live in between Tacoma and Seattle, WA, USA
- not home most of the day, since my husband and I do I.T. for a company in Bellevue, WA

I just want to provide the best home possible for my little guy, and would like any and all advice to give him the happiest, healthiest life I can.

So here are some specific questions I have:

- as far as I can tell, according to that Mcintyre ratio chart, he's just a tiny bit underweight? is that correct?
- Also, if he's a minimum of 12 years old, how much should he be growing each year? shouldn't he be about full size? he's only 4.72" right now....
- Should I trust weeds and plant growth in empty fields to feed him or purchase seeds for food online? how do I get the plants to grow faster???

(I will upload some pics once I get to work!)

Tort-Rex

Hello, Anna! Welcome to the forum!
Sorry, I can't answer your questions, since I'm a newbie too, but there are definitely more experienced tortoise keepers on here that will be able to answer your questions for you.
Have a great day!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Anna welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
pics:

Quarantine cage
UJJ9ReCjH_EzX4Lewtj4zEniaz-vlL0HmlDrGrfp3TM=w578-h434-no

Top View:
N_mynCWqdYoRWOfD6AMe_OSokDqpva_i0Vsbcd_yUrM=w578-h771-no

Front View:
-a4Xy2aspyMImm6WdWsgj-Lb3M3RrjvcGXakoqe--No=w578-h434-no

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
Oh, forgot to mention that he is in the quarantine pen because I need to change his substrate out in his main cage, and don't want to put him on the new stuff until we get the all clear on the protozoans!

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Hello All,

thought we would introduce ourselves! My name's Anna, and my Russian tortoise is A'tuin. I found him off of Craigslist 5 years ago, from a family who's 7 year old daughter decided she wanted a dog instead. They had him for 2 years prior to this, purchased from a pet store in Bellevue, WA. According to previous owners, the pet store claimed he was around 5 years old, so just using that as a base guess, we put him at about 12 years old now. I know that's just a guesstimation, but I like to think of my pets on the younger side, so i can trick myself into thinking I have that much longer with them.

He was being kept in an aquarium with a fluorescent tube light and a heat light, in a pine shaving mix and fed romaine, cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and carrots daily. They did soak him every day though and he got lots of run time outside of the tiny aquarium.

Since getting him, we gave away his original habitat to a reptile rescue, and had him in a rubbermaid bin until we could get him a proper tortoise table built. his table is 2'x4', has his UVA bulb on one end, substrate is sphagnum peat moss and organic top soil mixed. Since we live in a condo, it's not a huge space, but we have blocked off the balcony so that he can go outside on dry days and run around.

We found this site so that I could make sure that I was giving him the best I can, and I always need to refresh my care-taking information, since new ways and techniques are always coming out. I now have enough proof for my husband that when we get a house next year I can build him a larger indoor enclosure and a huge permanent outdoor enclosure! woo-hoo!

Current Weight of A'tuin: 430g
SCL: 12cm

He is currently being feed an organic spring mix salad with the Carolina Pet Supply TNT http://www.carolinapetsupply.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=58 and a tiny sprinkling of the calcium that doesn't have phosphorous or D3, and is fed daily. He is also currently being soaked daily until we get the all clear from the Vet that he's better from all his medications (ceftazidime and some type of oral med, I forgot to ask but will do so this coming Sunday), and will then be soaked and weighed weekly for the foreseeable future. I will admit that I'd been slacking on his care in the past year, and I hope I haven't done any permanent damage to my little guy. I swear on his tiny shell that I will be a better caretaker!!!

here are some other facts that might be helpful in future stuffs:

- no kids yet
- 3 other pets, 2 cats and a house rabbit
- live in between Tacoma and Seattle, WA, USA
- not home most of the day, since my husband and I do I.T. for a company in Bellevue, WA

I just want to provide the best home possible for my little guy, and would like any and all advice to give him the happiest, healthiest life I can.

So here are some specific questions I have:

- as far as I can tell, according to that Mcintyre ratio chart, he's just a tiny bit underweight? is that correct?
- Also, if he's a minimum of 12 years old, how much should he be growing each year? shouldn't he be about full size? he's only 4.72" right now....
- Should I trust weeds and plant growth in empty fields to feed him or purchase seeds for food online? how do I get the plants to grow faster???

(I will upload some pics once I get to work!)
Hi,
Glad to hear of the improvements in his diet! Has he been more active lately?
Yes, he should be a bit heavier. He is in the general range, though, and a tiny bit won't be hurting much. Remember that tortoises weight can fluctuate daily, depending on if they are loaded with water, food or poop, or ALL at the same time :p
Tortoises grow SUPER slow. My russian is around 10 (guessing, rescued him from a pet store...) and is only almost 5''. Some do grow slower than others too, and t is very hard to guess their age correctly unless you've had him from a hatchling... so he may be MUCH older!
You can use food sugar like Epson Salt, Miracle Grow, and some other stuff. It won't make them sprout up over night, so you may want to continue buying lettuces and veggies from the store right now.
His beak looks a little overgrown, so try giving him a cuttle bone to chew on, or feeding him a rock or slate, which can trim his claws too.

symplestytches

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWest, USA
we do feed him on a late tile and he has a stone food dish, but he always just drags the food onto his substrate and eats it there instead =-)
and the vet did just trim his beak on saturday, and it's pretty much straight across now and not like in my profile pic.