What tortoise is this

frenchsuite

Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
1000013127.png

My friend in China told me that he has one of his as his pets. What kind of tortoise is this? He told me it is called Chinese tortoise but it must have an official name I think.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like Rafetus swinhoei, but I doubt your friend has one.
The enormous Yangtze giant softshell turtle is the world’s rarest turtle, with only three individuals thought to remain in the world. These extraordinary turtles are teetering on the brink of extinction.

One of the remaining four individuals is in captivity at Suzhou Zoo, China, where efforts are ongoing to achieve captive breeding. However, all efforts to date to induce breeding, including artificial insemination, have failed.

frenchsuite

Alabama
Looks like Rafetus swinhoei, but I doubt your friend has one.
The enormous Yangtze giant softshell turtle is the world’s rarest turtle, with only three individuals thought to remain in the world. These extraordinary turtles are teetering on the brink of extinction.

One of the remaining four individuals is in captivity at Suzhou Zoo, China, where efforts are ongoing to achieve captive breeding. However, all efforts to date to induce breeding, including artificial insemination, have failed.
Yes. I think he is lying too. I googled it and it looks like some kind of softshell tortoise.

Millefiori

neverland
This is the most common turtle in China, we generally call it “Chinese soft shell”, generally we used for cooking, the price is 35-40 yuan a catty, equivalent to $5.50USD a catty,and no one will keep it as a pet.If you ask me how do I know that,I'd say im from China and I am Chinese.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I am not open for further comment.

Reactions: Ink