New closed chamber, please reassure me that my baby won't suffacate

kewp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fullerton, CA
Hi! My baby sulcata, Pancake, just received a major housing upgrade. Not only is it bigger, but its a closed chamber. My friend who gave it to me says that I just need to re-weather strip the doors. Finished setting it up about an hour ago.

I know people use these all the time, but Im paranoid she isn't getting enough air. Ive attached some pictures to see what you guys think. Isn't she the cutest.....

IMG_0199 2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0211.JPG
    IMG_0211.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 63

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is a great looking enclosure. He will not suffocate. You will be amazed how quick he out grows it though. :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto he will be fine. When you open it to feed, water, get him for his soaks, all this also allows air in. @Tom has been using these for a few years now and no suffocating has happened

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It looks like you have some vents in the back and you can leave the doors the way they are instead of re-doing the weather stripping. There is plenty of air movement in there for a little tortoise, even with just the doors opening and closing for daily maintenance.

I would not use that blue bulb. I'd use a white bulb for daytime and a ceramic heating element set on a thermostat to maintain ambient temps day and night.

I also don't think you will need that humidifier anymore. Using a closed chamber will contain your humidity, so you shouldn't need to continually pump more in.

kewp

5 Year Member
Fullerton, CA
Thanks. I will replace the black bulb as soon as I can. What wattage should I get? The one I have now is 50 watts, but her old enclosure was a lot smaller and shorter plus I had a under tank heater. This one is 42 long x 21 deep x 19 high. For the sub light, I installed my old fixture which was a reposition t5 ho bulb, 24 inches.

After a running a few days, the temp is staying at 86 with 73 humidity.