Leopard Tortoise Closed Chamber

nathannienhuis

5 Year Member
Hey Guys,

Last year I got a baby leopard tortoise who months late died of hatchling failure syndrome. It was so sad!! My wife and I decided to do it again, this time doing it from a great breeder and upgrading to a closed chamber. I built a closed chamber today and our little guy is arriving on Tuesday!!

My question for anything with experience, I have heard you need to waterproof the chamber bc of the humidity, what is the best thing to use and what parts do you waterproof?

I have attached two pictures of my chamber... Any help would be great!! Thanks!
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382240565.240219.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1382240576.922932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I use aquariums converted to closed chambers to specifically avoid wood/humidity concerns.. But Tom has said many times that he does not treat the inside of his chambers at all. He has no problems.

Hopefully some other "wood chamber" users will be along to offer their advice and experience.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I like your thinking indoor / outdoor enclosure. I would paint the outside but not the inside. Tom has some closed chambers threads that are a must read . Hopefully someone can post a link to them .

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
This is what I'm finishing up for my Aldabra. I covered the inside with LanOleum. Then I go through every Crees with a smooth layer of waterproof silicone. Make sure to use your finger to make it smooth so if ever exposed your tortoise won't be tempted to nibble on it I keep my substrate high enough to generally keep it covered

Attachments

• 1382245873709.jpg
    1382245873709.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 76