New baby Hermann's - need advice on enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Just got a couple of baby Hermann's and want to make sure I have everything setup correctly for them. We had recently adopted a few tortoises. After reading about their care requirements, I came to the conclusion that we wouldn't be able to give one of them a very good home (Gopher Tortoise). We live in a townhouse and didn't have a yard for him to roam around in. My wife had become very attached to him in just a matter of weeks.

I decided to get a couple of baby Hermann Tortoises from a forum member here (Emydidman) to see if that would make her feel better about giving up the Gopher tortoise. When I got these little guys they were walking around the enclosure and started eating within 15 minutes. I'm feeding them Spring Mix with some vitamins with D3 sprinkled on. Still waiting for the Mazuri I ordered.

I'm using a mix of cypress mulch and organic top soil in a 40-gallon "critter" cage. They seem to like to dig into the cypress mulch end. I put a hide box in the cypress mulch end. I'm using a solar glo UVB lamp and a ceramic heat emitter. Trying to keep the temperature 75 degrees on the cool end and about 90 on the warm side. Humidity is around 60%.

I put some succulents in there to "pretty" it up a little. They didn't seem to be able to bite into it - should I remove these?

I have a put sitting on it's side in the corner - they seem to like to climb up there all the time. Should I be worried that they might fall and flip over and not be able to right themselves?

We haven't really decided on names yet. I'm thinking about naming the bigger one Digger... because he likes to dig. Haven't come up with anything for the little one yet.

Attachments

• torts 001.JPG
    torts 001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 122
  • torts 006.JPG
    torts 006.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 137
  • torts 011.JPG
    torts 011.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 118
  • torts 007.JPG
    torts 007.JPG
    757.4 KB · Views: 129

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Looks like you got 'em set up pretty well...might fill the hide w/ spagnum moss and keep it a bit damp (aids in preventing pyramiding)...And I'd leave the succulents planted...odds are that they'll get around to eating those in their own good time.

Handsome little devils! :p

Schlomo

5 Year Member
Terry Allan Hall said:
Looks like you got 'em set up pretty well...might fill the hide w/ spagnum moss and keep it a bit damp (aids in preventing pyramiding)...And I'd leave the succulents planted...odds are that they'll get around to eating those in their own good time.

Handsome little devils! :p

Thanks. I will pick up some sphagnum moss today - hadn't even thought about that.

These little guys are surprisingly brave considering their size.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Nice tortoises and set up. My baby Hermanns are always flipping and need checking on regularly. They will flip in their water dish too so only putting in a few millimetres of water so they can breath when flipped. I hope they grow out of the flipping soon!!:D Mine are 3 mths old now.
Enjoy your babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.