Hermann's Setup?

Galwaygirl92

Hey guys so I'm going to be getting a baby Hermann's this Thursday and I was just wanting some reassurance that I'm not totally messing this up! I've been researching like crazy! I have cypress mulch as the substrate with a little moss corner, a little box to hide in, a food dish, log and a basking rock (heating lamps will be arriving tomorrow and I have a UVB bulb and one for heating...oh and a thermometer). Does this look right? He'll be in a plastic bin for a bit. We're moving soon so once we move he'll have a proper table.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418023221.842669.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418023236.338195.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418023247.139630.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1418023257.406763.jpg

el_ote

5 Year Member
looks good to me! BUT I am also setting up an enclosure getting ready for my first hermanns. I like your substrate more than mine. the cypress mulch looks softer, I may have to change my orchid bark. congrats and good luck!
edit: spelling

katfinlou

5 Year Member
It looks lovely :) What plant do you have in there? Im on the lookout for ideas for my hermanns table :)

Galwaygirl92

I found some aloe, I though it might spruce up the place a bit, plus it's edible once he's big enough to actually reach the leaves!
I like the cypress mulch, it's cushy and soft and not dusty.

katfinlou

5 Year Member
I have a lonely pot of heather in with mine... Will have to keep an eye out for one of those plants, im sure my little lady would love it :) You will just love having a tortoise, they very quickly take over your heart :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
YAAYYY!!! Congrats on your new tort (soon)!!! You are already off to a GREAT start!!!

Babies really hide A LOT, so I think some more things to hide under could help him/her feel secure. I've used fake plants when I couldn't find the live ones I wanted, and my Hermann's never tries to eat them, but like to hide under them.
If your tort seems like it's trying to climb up the enclosure walks, you might want to tape some paper around the outside of the enclosure from the bottom to about 6 inches up. Since the plastic is sort of transparent, some tortoises try to crawl through it.
I haven't had that type log myself, but I have read that babies can flip over from trying to climb the steep sides.

Again, you are REALLY getting off to a great start!!! Well done! :)

Hi, loving the look of your enclosure, the moss looks lush and squishy for your baby! I may need to invest in some myself :)

As for hiding places - I have this pretendy plant for my baby it's called a 'Reptile spiked leaf vine' and she LOVES it! I mean like it's her favourite part of the whole enclosure, she hardly ever goes in the hidey section of her tortoise table, instead she sleeps underneath this plant. She also loves walking under it and climbing though and up it so I would absolutely recommend this or something similar. She has also never, to my knowledge, tried to eat it. :)

Good luck with your new baby, they are such brilliant pets with cheeky little characters :)

10822399_10152503565383803_1671116645_n.jpg
10850809_10152503564908803_86496470_n.jpg
38039PL.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Don't buy the coil shaped light bulb for your new baby. It would be better if you get a Mercury Vapor Bulb. This has heat and UVB all in one bulb. Then for night time heat you can use a Ceramic Heat Emitter.

We have a wonderful care sheet on the Hermanni. It's pinned at the top of the Hermanni section, but here's a link:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, and...your thermometer doesn't do any good where you have it mounted. You want to know the temperature down at baby level. When you can afford it, buy one of those point and shoot thingeys that tell the temperature.

Galwaygirl92

I don't think it works anyways, so I'll be buying another! And I do like the idea of a temp gun!

Where do you find those kind of fake leaves? So far the pet and craft stores haven't had a whole lot of good things for him to hide in.

They are exo terra - I'm in England and just get them from a shop called pets at home, however I'm not sure where you are? Exo terra do have their own website so you may be able to order off there or perhaps Amazon :)

Galwaygirl92

I'm from Oregon. It's pretty cold here so I definitely like the idea of 1) a ceramic bulb for at night and 2) more plants fake/real for my little he/she to hang out in.

I've seen a lot of debate on substrate...should there be multiple layers? Like sand or soil on bottom then moss/bark on top?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Given the time of year, you could also rake up a bunch of dry leaves and put them in her enclosure. My Hermann's LOOOOOVES to burrow into the leaves! :) Of course that also means we can't always find her unless we poke a finger into the different piles of leaves until we find her shell! :p