Baby Hermann's tortoise with rhythmic movement ????

CAtortlvr

Location (City and/or State)
Pine Grove, CA
I have a new baby Hermann's that is about 10-11 mos old. I noticed over a 2 day or so period that when it would bask, the front legs would rhythmically move in place, and sometimes the head as well. It seemed to follow a breathing pattern, and I was concerned it was either too hot, or sick.... Has anyone else seen this? I did ask the breeder, and she said all of hers do that including adults.

My experience is with a 70-+ CA desert tortoise I've had for 50 years, and I've never noticed him doing that. Naturally, with a new baby, I'm watching like a hawk. It is currently indoors on a tort table with heat lamp that averages about 85, cypress mulch substrate, UVB light. The baby has been eating.

What is this movement and should I be worried??

Thanks!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Please bear in mind that when your baby Hermanni gets bigger it will need its own habitat. Don't plan on putting the two tortoises together. Its not a good idea to mix species, and your desert tortoise is too precious to endanger by adding a different species' pathogens into the mix.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Normal, with no diaphragm,they pump their legs like bellows.
Also salutations.

CAtortlvr

Pine Grove, CA
Thank you everyone! The breeder did say something about not having a diaphragm. :)

And not to worry -- Eventually, the Hermann's will be in its own yard on a different side of the house than my desert tort. I've been looking at options to have a secure environment for it with a covered pen as I do have raccoons. And since it will be small for the next year or two, I'm looking at something I can manage to put together either 3x6 or 4x8. My desert tort is probably 30 times larger than the little Hermann's, so he has a large yard all to himself, and sometimes the run of the whole upper yard. :) Thanks again.