New at this

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, I'm kimmychan, I have a Russian tortoise name Pong. My friend gave it to me because He doesn't want it. I adore my baby and I don't know the age or gender but it's Okay. His 5" when his streatch and 4" by shell. I live at southern California 15mins away from Lax Airport by car.

I got indoor enclosure in a Rubbermaid 54gallon, have one uvb150 and a reptile basking spot light with UVA at 150watts. The humidity is between 40-60% and the temperature are 95°f for basking and 80°f cooling. It has a drinking place that is a good soak if He wants too. I use arrowhead spring water cause i read that not to use tap. I also planted a thyme beside the water, if ever he finished his food and still hungry he has something to eat. My substrate are Mix with coconut coir and some dirt (i forgot the name but its for tortoise) I bought in PETCO , it's 4inches deep cause I notice He loves to dig.

I feed him 50/50 organic spring mix, some organic shredded carrots, grassland tortoise food (once cause I read only feed it once or twice a week) and kale.

My concern is at night. :huh: When I turn off the light and heat the temperature goes down at 60-70°f or lower and the humidity increase at 70% or higher . Should I just keep the heat light on or is it okay just to turn it off. But would it bother him, especially it's getting winter I don't want him to get too cold and hibernate because I don't think his that ready.

Another thing is how long should I keep the light on and the light off?

Please tell me if I did something wrong. :exclamation:
Please and Thank you :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
To answer your question, turn the light off at night. The lower temps at night is perfect for your Russian.
You can have your lights on a timer for 12hrs on/off or 14hrs on/ 10hrs off.

Since you live in so Cal, plan to build a nice outdoor enclosure this spring. You can let him live outdoors almost year round. They benefit tremendously from living outside.
In the years to come, if you plan to keep him up each winter, then your indoor enclosure will do just fine for the season.

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the advice.

Well I can't make him an outdoor one, cause I lived in apartment and there are racoons, crows and cat out side and I'm afraid to let it out.

But on the hot day like yesterday, I let him walk outside with my supervision and let the sun heat him up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome! I don't own a Russian, but I'm concerned with that high of humidity. Cold and wet are conditions for mold and respitory infections. What's causing such high humidity? 70% or higher when the habitat is below 60 degrees can't be ideal because regardless of the tort's specie, those are ripe conditions for mold growth, and that can't be good for any tort or person. Maybe what you need is heat at night without light, or a ceramic heat emitter.

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
It gets really cold in my room and I think that's why the humidity goes higher.

Should I take out the water bowl at night?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
No, the water bowl isn't causing all that humidity. If you get a dehumidifier in that room, you maybe able to get humidity levels lower.

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
I been meaning to buy one of those but it's kinda out of my budget right now. I bought all what I need for my RT and I can't spend anymore. :(

You have any idea how to lower the humidity? :huh:

I also put a lot of rocks inside, it's looks like a rocky small hill so He could climb. Do you think those rocks might be causing it too? :huh:

mikeh

5 Year Member
Night time 70% humidity is not all that high. You have plenty of rocks in there and if the substrate is not wet you have nothing to worry about. If you are concerned leave the heat bulb on for 14 hours. That only leaves 8 hours of cooler temps. As long as he can heat up during the day, it sounds like its fine.

Rocks are not causing higher humidity. If you place the rocks around the basking area they will heat up during the day and emit some heat after lights out. This will also keep the humidity slightly lower while they are warm. Just don't fill the whole enclosure with rocks. Leave him plenty of room to dig down into the substrate. Everything else about your set up sounds fine. Want to post some pictures of the set up?

UVB150 sounds like coil or compact florescant bulb? Some of these are known to cause serious eye damage to reptiles.

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
Well I turn on a night heat just to make sure and put a lid on so the heat won't escape.

I do have the coil bulb, but I didn't put directly in the dirt. I have read it okay but at a distance. Do you think I should have replace it?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
kimmychan17 said:
Well I turn on a night heat just to make sure and put a lid on so the heat won't escape.

I do have the coil bulb, but I didn't put directly in the dirt. I have read it okay but at a distance. Do you think I should have replace it?

Russians do best without night heat. Is your night heat also producing light? He should have a light/dark cycle.

I'd ditch the coil bulb. I wouldn't use one at any distance at any angle. It's a gamble I wont take. I read of and hear about too many tortoises with puffy swollen eyes or temporary blindness from these bulbs. We don't know exactly what causes it and not every bulb does it. That's why it's a gamble. The cons outweigh the pros from my perspective.

Does your apartment have a patio? You can still create a nice outdoor tort table for him on a patio. Making a cover will keep him safe from any predators, too. If I can't convince you to build him a little outdoor pen, I'm sure HE WILL convince you this spring when he scratches and scratches and scratches to get out of the tote box ;)

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
The problem is that it's humid it goes till 80% and I have read that the heat will decrease the humidity. The color is red, they say it won't effect my sleeping baby, and it helps me check the humidity at night.

I might build him an outdoor when its spring and summer.

Okay I'll buy a new one tomorrow. Do you have a recommendation for it?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Using the red heat light at night is better than keeping your white light on. While I'm not a fan of those, many use and like them.

What are your night temps with this heat bulb?

I don't use artificial UV lighting. Living in so cal my torts get enough natural sunshine. I'll let others give you their recommendations.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kimmychan welcome to the TFO
From AZ you Seam to have your RT
Care down pat Pong will be very happy

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
My temperature at night i about 70-75F without the heat it's about 60F below.

I might buy him a Zoo Med Powersun UV Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor UVB Lamp, I have read its good. it has heat, UVB and UVA, but what do you think?

I know I'm spoiling him cause his a good RT. he eats his veggies, walks around his enclosures (well digs a lot) and he sometimes makes noise (cute) . But I notice he HUFF a lot.

Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
Hello Kimmychan welcome to the TFO
From AZ you Seam to have your RT
Care down pat Pong will be very happy

Thanks so much! Well he's still getting used to things. He usually stay still if he knows I'm close. So intended to leave him alone and watch far. I do talk to him and pat him so he know I love him much.

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
Thank you for the warm welcome!

I have a question friends, is it okay to wake him up? Cause he's been sleeping whole day and its almost end of the afternoon and he isn't coming out

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Yvonne always says it best in the wild
If you move you get eaten but once your RT see you as food god it will change
Have a great time with your tort

kimmychan17

5 Year Member
Okay got it, another question.

Sorry to many to ask, can I feed him aragula?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
kimmychan17 said:
Okay got it, another question.

Sorry to many to ask, can I feed him aragula?

Yes, as part of a varied diet :D