New Greek Tortoise Owner (I got some questions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronny

5 Year Member
Hello! My name is Ron and i live in wisconsin (just so you know)

I have recently bought a greek tortoise and obviously as a new owner i have a few questions. I bought him from pet smart four days ago, it was may 5th, and he seems to be doing ok. He spends most of his day, at least when im home after school, in his basking spot. i have a thermometer and humidity reader in his cage and its usually 65-70 and 45-50% humidity during the day. His basking spot is about 90-95. At night it drops to about 60 and the humidity goes up a bit. Also when i get home i turn on my space heater to make sure its at 70 (its usually like 65 or so). My problem is he does spend most of my time with him under the basking light and I was wondering if this was normal. It seems that he is moving around during the day and his water dish is usually dirty (usually with pee it seems).

This leads to my next question. Today i thought it would be a good idea to soak him even though i was hesitant because it looked like he was in his water dish every day. I filled up a small Tupperware container with slightly warm water and at a good height (between his upper and lower shell), after a few seconds i walked about two feet to refill his water dish in his cage and he began to freak out and almost succeeded in escaping. After i put him back in his cage he began to run around nonstop until I put his basking light back on. He then proceeded to do what he normally does and lay and sleep under it. I dont know If it was his first ever soak or i did something wrong.

Also it seems that he never sleeps in his half log. He usually sleeps under his basking spot which I of course turn off at night. He has only slept in his half log the first night he got there, he was a bit timid of course, and the second night when i put him under there. I dont know if he cares where he sleeps or what, but i was just wondering if this was normal.

Other than that he seems to be healthy. He eats quite a bit of food every day, and has seemed to warm up to me just a little bit. I have seen that white pee stuff in his cage but i have not seen poop or pee in the substrate (although i dont quite know what that would look like). He has a nice gold and slightly brown shell and gold scales and head. His head also looked a BIT flaky though. He looks to be a boy (concave under shell) so I named him Sheldon. Any help would be much appreciated!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome.:) I don't know about Greeks, but someone will be along soon. I'm in Chicago and we only get Russians here at our petsmarts and petco

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and congrats on your new Greek baby! As a side note, if you have a dog, plan to get a dog, or allow dogs yo visit your home, then you need to read the thread written by Tom, below my name.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ron, and welcome to the Forum!

prc93

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Hi Ron and welcome to the Forum. I am a fellow Greek owner and am from Wisconsin as well. I'm not exactly an expert, but I can alleviate your fears as to some of the major concerns. My Greek really likes to use his water dish to urinate and defecate in, I think it's just most natural for them to go in water if given the opportunity. They are also creatures of the sun, and love laying under the basking lamp. One reason he may be so attached to it is that he feels a need to be warmer than he is, some of the more senior members can comment on temps for you. In terms of sleeping in the hide, I've found that my Greek will sleep under the heat as long as he can, but I can usually hear him snuggling in under his hide after I turn the light out. I think it yours may just be figuring out his favorite spots still.

The flakiness is normal, that's just the nature of their skin. Sometimes the poop can be hard to find, and there is even a small chance that he is eating it. Just make sure his diet has plenty of varied greens. I also suggest Mazuri tortoise chow, my Greek adores it and it can provide good nutrients as part of a balanced diet.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Re: RE: New Greek Tortoise Owner (I got some questions!)

Ronny said:
Hello! My name is Ron and i live in wisconsin (just so you know)

I have recently bought a greek tortoise and obviously as a new owner i have a few questions. I bought him from pet smart four days ago, it was may 5th, and he seems to be doing ok. He spends most of his day, at least when im home after school, in his basking spot. i have a thermometer and humidity reader in his cage and its usually 65-70 and 45-50% humidity during the day. His basking spot is about 90-95. At night it drops to about 60 and the humidity goes up a bit. Also when i get home i turn on my space heater to make sure its at 70 (its usually like 65 or so). My problem is he does spend most of my time with him under the basking light and I was wondering if this was normal.
Hello and welcome :) I have had a Greek for a very long time. Yours is in very new surroundings. They can take weeks to settle in to a new home, so expect behaviour to erratic for some time to come!

The temperatures sound fine. How accurately are you measuring them? A temperature gun is best... they are reasonably cheap from amazon.

It seems that he is moving around during the day and his water dish is usually dirty (usually with pee it seems).

This leads to my next question. Today i thought it would be a good idea to soak him even though i was hesitant because it looked like he was in his water dish every day. I filled up a small Tupperware container with slightly warm water and at a good height (between his upper and lower shell), after a few seconds i walked about two feet to refill his water dish in his cage and he began to freak out and almost succeeded in escaping.

Pooping in the water dish is competely normal. Soaking is good to maintain hydration, but not essential if your tort likes to soak himself. However, many shop bought torts are a little dehydrated on arrival, so it would be good to soak. I find it best to soak Joe first thing in the morning before he's warmed up properly. If the water temperature is 'just right' he'll enjoy the wartmth an soak for ages. If the water is too cool, or he is fully warmed up, he immediately tries to climb out. Establishing a routine of a morning soak, then a feed will also get your tort used to being handled and the routine will help him understand that it is entirely normal and nothing to worry about.

After i put him back in his cage he began to run around nonstop until I put his basking light back on. He then proceeded to do what he normally does and lay and sleep under it. I dont know If it was his first ever soak or i did something wrong.
Joe always wants to eat and then bask after his soak. He probably eats most at that time. I wouldn't worry too much.

Also it seems that he never sleeps in his half log. He usually sleeps under his basking spot which I of course turn off at night. He has only slept in his half log the first night he got there, he was a bit timid of course, and the second night when i put him under there. I dont know if he cares where he sleeps or what, but i was just wondering if this was normal.
Joe seems to think it is his right to sleep wherever he pleases.. and I guess it is. It will take time for your newcomer to decide where the best places to sleep are and the half log may never be a sleeping place!

Other than that he seems to be healthy. He eats quite a bit of food every day, and has seemed to warm up to me just a little bit. I have seen that white pee stuff in his cage but i have not seen poop or pee in the substrate (although i dont quite know what that would look like). He has a nice gold and slightly brown shell and gold scales and head.
Joe is aTestudo Graeca Graeca and those gold scales on the head are typical. Finding poop and pee can be very difficult, especially as some torts love eating poop... it's normal, don't worry! The wjite stuff is called urate and is easier to spot. It is normal as long as it is jelly like. If there are large quantities and/or it is not smoth then your tort is likely to be dehydrated and needs daily soaks to ensure he is getting enough water.

His head also looked a BIT flaky though. He looks to be a boy (concave under shell) so I named him Sheldon. Any help would be much appreciated!
All reptiles visibly shed skin as they grow. Snakes do it one go. Torts spend most of their time looking tatty. It's nothing to worry about. Don't feel tempted to pick or pull at it. The loose skin will rub off naturally.

Ronny

5 Year Member
Wow thanks everyone! It's cool I be a part of such a large and active community. Today I let Sheldon run around my room. He seemed very excited about it and even let me pet his head! Although he didn't eat today, but I'm not to worried about it because whenever I feed him there is usually quite a bit left over. I'm looking into getting him a vet check up soon, so if anybody has any advice about doing this I would be glad to hear!

Status
Not open for further replies.