New arrival

sarahpickering

Hi all, I'm new to this site and am after some advice. We got our first tortoise last weekend and I have 2 main questions. 1) what species of tortoise do I have? (Photo attached) I think it's desert after lots of googling but want to make sure and 2) anything I can't feed him? He's (we are assuming it's a male) very active, shell looks good so we think he's in great shape . Just want to make sure we are doing the best for him. Thanks

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome :)

What part of the world do you live in as that will help us to help you?

My first reaction to your picture was Russian, but I will let someone else confirm its species.

A good starting point for learning about the care your tort needs is our Beginner Mistakes thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Please post pictures of his enclosure and lighting. It's a lot easier to advise from pictures - a picture speaks a thousand words :)

sarahpickering

Thanks. I live in the UAE ( Abu Dhabi) and got him from a friend of a friend who rescued him hence no idea on species. He lives outside all day and night and has dug a tunnel in the garden (a mixture of sand, grass, hay) and seems very happy. I thought I should bring him in every evening but every time I go to find him to do so, he's in his tunnel.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum!

Sorry, can't tell what species your tort is-am no tort expert. Hope that the experts here will help you.

(By the way I live in Jordan).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, you've received so many different answers it's going to be hard for you to know which one of us to believe. Far as I'm concerned, it's a Greek tortoise - Testudo graeca. We have a member who is very well-versed in identifying the different species of tortoise. I'll send him a shout-out and you can believe for sure what he tells you. @HermanniChris

sarahpickering

Hello and welcome :)

What part of the world do you live in as that will help us to help you?

My first reaction to your picture was Russian, but I will let someone else confirm its species.

A good starting point for learning about the care your tort needs is our Beginner Mistakes thread
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Please post pictures of his enclosure and lighting. It's a lot easier to advise from pictures - a picture speaks a thousand words :)

Sorry, can't tell what species your tort is-am no tort expert. Hope that the experts here will help you.

As you live in Jordan (and have a similar climate as the UAE), do you leave your tortoise out at night?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As you live in Jordan (and have a similar climate as the UAE), do you leave your tortoise out at night?
No, I live in an apartment. But even if I had that choice I would not. The Middle East is not the safe place it was once, I regret to say. Secondly, here in Amman, it gets rather chilly and sometimes even cold at night during Summer. Don't want OLI (my Greek tort) to "freeze" so as to speak.

OLI has his enclosure in my apartment and whenever the weather permits I take him out for a "walk" which he really enjoys.

sarahpickering

No, I live in an apartment. But even if I had that choice I would not. The Middle East is not the safe place it was once, I regret to say. Secondly, here in Amman, it gets rather chilly and sometimes even cold at night during Summer. Don't want OLI (my Greek tort) to "freeze" so as to speak.

OLI has his enclosure in my apartment and whenever the weather permits I take him out for a "walk" which he really enjoys.

Oh...I wish it got chilly here in the summer!! Maybe we do have different climates. . What danger are you referring to? Animals or people? I want to ensure I'm looking after him well.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oh...I wish it got chilly here in the summer!! Maybe we do have different climates. . What danger are you referring to? Animals or people? I want to ensure I'm looking after him well.
You're right, as far as I know when it gets hot it get BOILING hot in the Gulf, whilst here, it's hot so long as the sun is striking.

As far as safety is concerned I meant that one could get up and find his/her tortoise gone, despite the fact that there is not much "like" for animals/pets in the Arab World that I've noticed. When I take OLI out for a "walk" I stand beside him literally like a bodyguard. Just imagine the patience needed here.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thank you for confirming. So according to an earlier post, I need to avoid fruit for him?
His diet is broadleaf greens.

He can't process sugars properly - they cause gut & kidney problems - so fruit, bell pepper, tomato and carrot should only be fed sparingly and very occasionally.

Hydration is vital in a climate like yours. Torts need constant access to water. Regular soaks will do no harm either.

Soak for 20-30 minutes in a high sided bowl that he can't see through. The water should be warm, not hot, and just come up over his plastron (undershell)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Greek Tortoise Care Sheet
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

List of suitable foods
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles