New and researching before getting a tortoise

Erika T

i could also direct you to who i got my russian from in so florida he was really great and took great care of them!

Hi, yes please that would be great. I'm still researching I thought about getting a redfoot but I will look into the Russian . Thank you for the suggestion!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi, yes I first post it on the other place but I was told I should post it here instead, now I don't know how to erase it. Sorry for the confusion but thank you for the replies on the other side
Don't worry- no problem. And many thanks the info.

Erika T

I went to craigslist like you said and found redfoot tortoises in the area. What signs should I look for when I go pick her up to know it is healthy. Also do you know any vets in the area that are good? I'm still not ready to go get her but would like to know this info.

Thanks again for all the help

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Dr. Kelleher
Broward Avian and exotic in Deerfeild beach. (954)968-7171

Look for good weight for the size. Redfoot are chunky and should never feel light. Look for clear, alert and fully open eyes with no discharge. though some eye watering might be present. Make sure that if you can see poop that is is firm and watch the tortoise walk. make sure that it rises way up off the ground and has strong legs.
If it has any signs of shell "rot" underneath or a pyramided shell, these are things that you do NOT have to settle for, but can almost always be stopped easily enough and these issues can get the seller to remove BIG chunks of money from the price.
Baby standard Redfoot..$65 to $120
Cherry head baby $125 to $250 and up
Adult "Std." (There is no standard) $150 to $350
Adult cherry head would be over $200 to over $400.
Ask to see where the tortoise lives.
Avoid sellers that have the tortoises rolling around in the back of a pickup truck loose, etc.
There are sellers that have just gotten a tortoise for free and know nothing and don't care about the animal.
There are sellers that are breeders in disguise that are looking to get rid of some old, injured, sick or no longer productive stock.
There are "rescues" that you may need to be rescued from once money enters the discussion.
But mostly, there are very nice folks selling them. A lot of them are members here, too.
Feel free to P.M. me with any questions you may have. Now and in the future.
And best of luck to you.
Ed

Erika T

Great, thank you so much for all the info. Once I have the place ready for my tortoise I will send you pics to see if everything is in order and hopefully shortly after I will send you pics of the new family member.

Again I can't stress how thankful I am for all your help.