New Addition! + Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
So I went to the Calgary TARAS Reptile show today, and finally acquired another awesome little living rock. This one, however, makes the others look tiny.
Woodrow has grown a whopping 4mm all year, bringing him to 68mm total. But Cordelia has put on 24mm in the 5 months I've had her bringing her to 79mm total, and then this one... Clocking in around 127mm (dunno since my calipers only got up to 100mm, need my fancy ones from work so I can get an accurate measurement). Dunno the weight on the new guy yet either, since my scale only goes up to 100g and even Cordelia is pushing it's limit.

Breeder who was selling her told me, this one has characteristics of a female, but is only 2 years old so it's speculation at this point. She has some pyramiding I figured probably started from visiting so many Reptile shows. Everyone wants the cutesy little wee ones, not the majestic stone-like awesomeness of the sub adults. I was told she originated from a breeder in southern Alberta, and turns out, is the same breeder for my sweet little Cordelia.

But with two tortoises who seem to be growing at regular rates, poor Woodrow is being left behind... But he's my first, so I always figure I'll love him best.

As for a name, I was thinking Henry. Henrietta if it is a girl, or Hank if it turns out to be a boy. Kind of a win win name for a gender confused critter.

I'll post pics of the new little gaffer when I'm not so tired and lazy from building soaking dishes and hides to fit the hugely awesomeness of Henry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Congrats on your new tortoise!

1711829bvyx2ls1zo.gif

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations, looking forward to seeing pics of Henry/Henrietta. I do hope you are planning a quarantine period for them. :)

grettas mom

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Congrats!!! Pics are great!!! Henry/Henrietta is gorgeous (even with the little bit of pyramiding) :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
She is a beauty! Like the color variations. They are just together for the photo shoot correct?

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Thanks all.
She's been a learning experience from the smaller ones. Quite the destructive little beast she is. Likes to dig her own hides it seems. Got the ol' noodle a cookin' though, so many new ideas for the 'ideal' tortoise vivarium are in the works.
She fits right in though, and the kid is very interested in this larger and more lively pet rock. It was a cute day when the whole family, kid, tortoises, parents and all, had a feast of grapes in the middle of the living room floor. Henry AND Cordelia both decided that would be an ideal time to loose their bladders onto the carpet. 'Twas cute indeed.
I have met with the breeder of both Henry and Cordelia now, and will likely be doing some business with him in the future. Until then, home depot and the middle of the month paychecks are my playground and candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.