Horny Tortoises World Wide!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
So I'm guessing, with recent developments in the forums I frequent, and the happenings with the various aged torts I've acquired... Love is in the air... or awkward tortoise dating at best...

I saw the recent post about Pio and the new rock lover, which answered questions about Henry, and why he keeps 'trying to climb over Cordelia'. Turns out Henry and Pio might have the same issue: Confused. If they could, I bet they would be growing hair in funny places right about now.

What really brought my attention to this, is Penny. She is 9.5" of relentless tortoise action. I swear she is the primary incentive to vacuum the carpet. She tries to eat more crap off the carpet than our 1 year old child. The problem being, that most of the said crap on the carpet, is FROM the 1 year old child. She was out for a romp a couple days ago, when a guest I had over went in to give her a good scratch. He touched the backside of her shell, and she crumpled. I assumed a poop was in order. Put her back into her enclosure, gave her one last pet, and BAM! She shoves her entire hindside way up in the air. I had no idea the elephant feet they had could stretch that high. Turns out autumn is in the air, and all the tortoises are gussying up to hit the town on Friday nights for some easy tortoise action!

Equal amounts of adorable and hilarious.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Do your four Redfoots "date" (spend time in the same enclosure)?

Could you explain more about how you let Penelope out on the carpet for a romp? I would worry she could ingest something, it's too cold, and it's scary for her as it's not an enclosure with safe hides.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
tortoisenerd said:
Do your four Redfoots "date" (spend time in the same enclosure)?

Could you explain more about how you let Penelope out on the carpet for a romp? I would worry she could ingest something, it's too cold, and it's scary for her as it's not an enclosure with safe hides.

Nope, can't explain it more. And I don't wanna get into their dating... It's personal. Don't wanna butt my nose in.

I would worry the same thing, but you try explaining it to her while she's tromping around. Plus you haven't seen her climb to get out. This tort knows what she wants.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
I just have to say, Taco is also an explorer with a will to roam the unknown. The weather here in Colorado has not been warm enough to put her outside, so when I found her trying to break out through a wall of her cage, I took her out and put her down on the floor, and she was off! Strode the perimeter of the eating area and tried to climb the steps out, so I let her up into the living room/family room/study, and she continued on her mission till she had canvassed the entire main floor! Jut FYI, I vacuum a lot and do not have objects on my floor (OCD from the years my 5 kids were babies and toddlers). When she finally slowed down and seemed ready for a nap, I returned her to her basking spot in her cage.:D

My son and I have been laughing that whenever he tickles/pets Taco's back leg, she rises up to full elephantine height, and stands like that as if she's in a trance for about 60 seconds...I was already wondering if we had triggered a mating pose, so to speak...;)

Also, Neohippy, the title of this thread almost kept me from viewing it--I was afraid it would be a collection of those "private" photos...:p

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Stephanie Logan said:
I just have to say, Taco is also an explorer with a will to roam the unknown. The weather here in Colorado has not been warm enough to put her outside, so when I found her trying to break out through a wall of her cage, I took her out and put her down on the floor, and she was off! Strode the perimeter of the eating area and tried to climb the steps out, so I let her up into the living room/family room/study, and she continued on her mission till she had canvassed the entire main floor! Jut FYI, I vacuum a lot and do not have objects on my floor (OCD from the years my 5 kids were babies and toddlers). When she finally slowed down and seemed ready for a nap, I returned her to her basking spot in her cage.:D

My son and I have been laughing that whenever he tickles/pets Taco's back leg, she rises up to full elephantine height, and stands like that as if she's in a trance for about 60 seconds...I was already wondering if we had triggered a mating pose, so to speak...;)

Also, Neohippy, the title of this thread almost kept me from viewing it--I was afraid it would be a collection of those "private" photos...:p

We could start a pay site: Tortoises Gone Wild!

Racy photos of shell on shell action, AND up scute shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.