Greetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
Greetings fellow tortoise addicts.
My name is Chad. I have been a tortoise fan all my life, and a tortoise owner since February 2009.

I got my cute little red foot (Named: Professor Woodrow "Brock" Sampson, we call him Woodrow for short) in a little shop in a tiny town about 45minute drive from my own hometown. He was in a dry terrarium, no water, and a dish with the dried remanent of a long forgotten meal. I was told he was about 6 months old. His eyes were shut, and I was told by the clerk that they would open with a good soaking. The clerk was nice and admitted to not knowing much, but relied on the breeder. I figured what the hell, I can give him better than this store.
Brought him home (snowing and cold that day as I live in Canada) using a box and a 'snap to activate' reusable bottle warmer. Got him into a terrarium with coco coir substrate, a makeshift hide, a soaking dish, food dish, and a 75w heat light off to one side.
Now... It's been 2 months, and I have come to terms with the fact that I now own a one eyed tortoise.
He now lives in a 75gallon terrarium, tropical soil substrate, moss, bigger soaking dish, larger light off to one side. Temps are hovering in the 80's as you call them in the 'ol US of A, or near 30C for us Canucks. Humidity is kept high through twice daily misting, the moss, and the recent addition of seedlings added to his home.

He's an active little guy, loves exploring and chomping down on food. He is very routine oriented, which I like.

Question though: If he was indeed 6 months old when I got him, making him 8 months old now... In all your collective knowledge here, is 52.8g and 63.5mm (2.5") SCL a good weight and length for his age?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't address your specific questions, but I can offer you a bit of advice. I've saved many a one- or no-eyed tortoise with this stuff:

http://www.nextag.com/terramycin-ophthalmic-ointment/products-html

Put a little dab on each eye or eye-lid about 3 times a day and eventually your one-eyed tortoise will magically have two eyes!! This stuff is truly a miracle ointment.

I've even used it on box turtles whose eyes had been frozen. In this case it takes a little longer, usually about a year, but the eye is healed and the tortoise can see again.

Yvonne

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Thank you very much for that info. Got my heart goin' a bit. There's hope for the little pirate yet. I'll put off launching my line of wee little eye patches until I give this magic goo a try!

Here's a pic of the little scamp taken today. I totally ruined his nap taking this pic, so enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0997b.jpg
    IMG_0997b.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 35

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
So cute! I hope the ointment helps. I've read about some great success stories on here with those who have used it.

Just in case you've missed it, there is an awesome website for Redfoots, redfoot.com, if you have more redfoot-specific questions.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
His size is very normal for a RF of his age. If he doesn't regain use of the eye, not to worry. Torts adjust to injuries very well. His habitat souns very good though I would suggest getting a Ceremic Heat Emitter at the first opportunity as they o better in a low light enviornment.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Indeed. I have many 'need to upgrade' items still. There is the TARAS show in my province at the end of this month (The Alberta Reptile and Amphibian Society), I'll be hitting that up for sure. Get out and learn some of the local 'go to guys' and pick up some much needed doodads and whatnots.
His eye has never slowed him down. He is a voracious eater, but his lack of depth perception makes for one hilarious show when he's trying to find his food somewhere in mid air. He was a healthy eater from hour one of arriving at home. Doesn't spend all that much time in his hide, moreso tromping around and napping the such a relaxed way I keep thinking he's dead.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Just a query since I am still quite new to this. What does the numbering system I see in so many signatures mean? I have seen it around when adverts say "1.2 male blank and blank, proven, etc...".
Would somebody be kind enough to break the jargon down into human speak for me?

M

Maggie Cummings

I just wanted to say welcome to the forum, and I seriously hope you become an active member because you crack me up. You have a great and wonderful sense of humor...
I have a couple of blind chelonia and a one-eyed Russian and they all do well with a little bit of help in finding the food as I know you have discovered by now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neohippy said:
Just a query since I am still quite new to this. What does the numbering system I see in so many signatures mean? I have seen it around when adverts say "1.2 male blank and blank, proven, etc...".
Would somebody be kind enough to break the jargon down into human speak for me?

3.5.8 means that there are three males, five females and eight too young to sex.

Yvonne

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Red Deer, AB
Thanks much for the welcome and the info. I hope to become a regular thorn in everyone's side here in no time. Everyone knows if you take the internet, and an opinion based subject dealing with sentimental subjects (ie: pets), you have a recipe for frustration and hilarity.
Nothing like the tried and true format of hurling info and insults around like feces in a monkey cage, or as it's better known in this politically correct world of ours: The Forum.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
You are refreshing and delightful! This is the first time I laughed in about a week. Keep us posted on your little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.