Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Barking is a Nuisance issue..
Actually there are many issues with this.. and they need to be looked at and worked out.. if not by the owner,, then help from a aneighbor or elsewhere..
Ive never known a dog to be taken away by animal control for barking.. regardless of breed... aggression is a different story..
Is this dog Just being ptotective? Or is there more to it? does it bark all day all night? or only when someone walks by? etc

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Laura said:
Barking is a Nuisance issue..
Actually there are many issues with this.. and they need to be looked at and worked out.. if not by the owner,, then help from a aneighbor or elsewhere..
Ive never known a dog to be taken away by animal control for barking.. regardless of breed... aggression is a different story..
Is this dog Just being ptotective? Or is there more to it? does it bark all day all night? or only when someone walks by? etc

When I worked at the Humane Society, I took from many crying heartbroken families their loved dogs to be put to sleep, because the neighbors complained of the dogs barking. :cool: :(

Why is it, that a dog barking is a more serious nuisance then kids loudly playing?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
well. i guess where I live.. people dont take dogs away for barking.. those families that turned there dogs in.. was it thier choice to do so? or were they told to or face impoundment? re homing a dog is one solution if the owners dont have time to deal with the problem.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks for all of the comments. I don't want the dog taken away by any amount. When it comes to animals, it is never their fault for 'bad' behavior, it is always the fault of humans in control of the environment in which we force them to live (including all simulations within that environment).

Aside from that, there really is no other way for me to get to my apartment other than walking by where the dog lives, along with lots of other residents & kids. I have a right to using that sidewalk, just as he has a right to bark. Not worried about the bark, dogs bark. He is exhibiting typical aggressive behavior, and being a medium sized dog, could pose a threat, hence my proactive response to this whole thing. I will most likely continue doing what i am doing-walk by when he is calm, and stop when he is not. If the behavior (not the barking that i am concerned with, but the entire behavior including showing teeth, chasing, body language,etc) does not get better over time, I will report them to the community. For no other reason than to have some awareness on record with the mgt that a situation has/is going on should anything ever happen in the future, which i certainly hope does not.

I am not anti-dogs, but I would feel very bad if something happened to anyone and I didn't take any action to help. Most behavior issues can easily be alleviated with a little training & consistency. I spoke with some of my fellow trainers today & got some good suggestions for working with him, so hopefully the owners will look into this.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
yagyujubei said:
Thank You Jacqui. I wrote several answers to this, but deleted them before posting. Glad I live where people aren't so intolerant of their neighbors.
Jacqui said:
zesty_17 said:
The only other thing i know to do is report them, but as having an aggressive dog, but i really don't want to punish the dog for the owner's lack of training him.

I am missing something here...why would you report him? Glad your not my neighbor. I have dogs and I want them to bark when ever any person is walking past my place. I have dogs not just for companionship, but protection too for me, my other animals (like the tortoises) and my property.

This dog is on HIS own property.

I think someone shouldn't have to tolerate a dog barking at them while they are walking on a sidewalk, or at any other time for that matter.

And I think it's sad that there is a need for laws/ordinances to enforce good manners. Would you mind if I moved next door and blared my stereo all night? I am on MY property after all.

As for loudly playing children, I have A Modest Proposal, if you'd like to hear.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
jaizei said:
I think someone shouldn't have to tolerate a dog barking at them while they are walking on a sidewalk, or at any other time for that matter.

And I think it's sad that there is a need for laws/ordinances to enforce good manners. Would you mind if I moved next door and blared my stereo all night? I am on MY property after all.

As for loudly playing children, I have A Modest Proposal, if you'd like to hear.

What I am saying is part of being a good neighbor includes tolerance. The problem is that in most communities, you can all day long play your music and nothing can be done about it. Usually it's the after midnight til 6 am rule. However dogs barking gets condoned no matter when they do it or more importantly WHY they are doing it. Noise is to me, noise and should be treated all the same way.

..as I said above in my neighborhood case, the guy was already making the loud noise. :cool: Before he moved in, the neighborhood dogs were much much more quiet. ;) I WAS the good neighbor, I never complained about his noise making. :)

For the children, should we train them like the dogs and require them to be quiet? (Just asking the question. To me, I love hearing children at play, dogs being dogs, the coyotes singing at night, the frogs in loud chorus and the trains blaring their whistle all night and day. Okay those mules braying do startle me. :D )

Tony the tank

5 Year Member
I may have missed something... The dog is in its yard during the day and when you walk by it barks at you...does it bark all day and all night...or is the dog just doing what dogs do?? If the dog can't get out and becomes quiet after you walk by..why not just keep walking...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This does not sound like a case of nuisance barking to me. It sounds like NORMAL territorial dog stuff. This dog needs time put into him, not the authorities and their accompanying atrocities. Sounds like Zesty has the time and some knowledge too.

The best idea I have heard here is for Zesty to go offer to take the lovely dog for walks. If there is time to stand on the sidewalk and try to "train" this dog, then there is time for walks too. Think how much training you could get done if you actually had a real, loving relationship with this dog.

I would word it something like this. "(knock knock knock...) Hi. I'm your neighbor _____. I see your dog everyday and I love ___(breed here)____. May I meet him? I'm a dog trainer and I would love it if you let me take him for walks occasionally..." Go from there depending on their reaction.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Tom said:
This does not sound like a case of nuisance barking to me. It sounds like NORMAL territorial dog stuff. This dog needs time put into him, not the authorities and their accompanying atrocities. Sounds like Zesty has the time and some knowledge too.

The best idea I have heard here is for Zesty to go offer to take the lovely dog for walks. If there is time to stand on the sidewalk and try to "train" this dog, then there is time for walks too. Think how much training you could get done if you actually had a real, loving relationship with this dog.

I would word it something like this. "(knock knock knock...) Hi. I'm your neighbor _____. I see your dog everyday and I love ___(breed here)____. May I meet him? I'm a dog trainer and I would love it if you let me take him for walks occasionally..." Go from there depending on their reaction.

10-4 did this. Well, partially, minus the walking him bit. I offered to work with THEM and THEIR DOG, not train him for them. Not my dog, if i wanted a loving relationship with a dog, i would have a dog & not turtles.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I am sorry, but in order to train a dog...a relationship is required....the basic dog walk is the time so much is discussed between human and canine....very few words are necessary....IMHO that is....

I hope all works out for all involved.....:D

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Let's just hope that THEY don't "report" you for standing on the sidewalk, staring at their house and teasing their dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.