Dog sitting daughter’s dog who barks constantly

JohnnyB65

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA High Desert
I want to buy a “No Bark Collar”, but not sure how it will be received by my son-in-law who actually owns the dog. He has ruined this dog and the dog really has to go especially now that he has little baby girl to protect, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I almost hate this dog because she is so big that she knocks me to the ground every time she jumps on me which is every time I walk out the door. My knee hurts so bad from the dogs huge tail smacking into it that I'm limping around.

My daughter knows she’s a problem, but my stupid son-in-law just don’t get it. Anyway I just don’t believe any amount of training is going to correct this stupid dog’s behavior and I think the color is the only way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I want to buy a “No Bark Collar”, but not sure how it will be received by my son-in-law who actually owns the dog. He has ruined this dog and the dog really has to go especially now that he has little baby girl to protect, but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I almost hate this dog because she is so big that she knocks me to the ground every time she jumps on me which is every time I walk out the door. My knee hurts so bad from the dogs huge tail smacking into it that I'm limping around.

My daughter knows she’s a problem, but my stupid son-in-law just don’t get it. Anyway I just don’t believe any amount of training is going to correct this stupid dog’s behavior and I think the color is the only way.

Most times the issue is the human and not the dog..the dog is an easy fix...it is the human that usually requires the most training....what is the normal behavior of the humans when the dog does his acrobats agains the human folk?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
The dog can learn but it's pointless if your son is not going to partake in the lessons.

Case in point. My mom has owned her dog for almost 10 years. She spoiled this dog rotten and allowed it to have all sorts of bad behaviors. I've owned the dog for a month and 75% of these behaviors are gone and working on the other 25%.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The collars need just as much training as any other methods...If not more. Please don't use any form of shock collar without proper training!!! I'm not against those collars at all- I've used them with my own dog even. BUT you have to have proper training with them. To think it's going to be a magic fix will destroy your dog and fail your expectations.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
The dog can learn but it's pointless if your son is not going to partake in the lessons.

Case in point. My mom has owned her dog for almost 10 years. She spoiled this dog rotten and allowed it to have all sorts of bad behaviors. I've owned the dog for a month and 75% of these behaviors are gone and working on the other 25%.
I know it is the people who spoil the dog and I've had so many dogs myself over the years without anything like this. In fact most of my dogs just seemed to know what was expected of them without training. Its would be hard for me to believe that his dog can be trained, because I personally think the dog is retarded or something, but it would be nice to be proven wrong.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
The collars need just as much training as any other methods...If not more. Please don't use any form of shock collar without proper training!!! I'm not against those collars at all- I've used them with my own dog even. BUT you have to have proper training with them. To think it's going to be a magic fix will destroy your dog and fail your expectations.
Well I don't think my son-in-law would let me put a collar on her anyway. I have looked at the Citronella types and also the shock one. One that I looked at had a remote which I thought would be great to stop her from jumping up on people. I don't know how much this dog weighs, but she can easily knock me over. I worry about my daughter being sued by someone getting knocked over or possibly falling and hitting their head.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I agree the dog needs training and jumping is an issue. And trust me, I had great Danes....jumping with large dogs can be quite the issue! (Mine never jumped on people ;) but I can imagine!)

Anyway I just don’t believe any amount of training is going to correct this stupid dog’s behavior

and I think the collar is the only way.

This is the statement I wanted to address. A color WONT work without proper training. So this statement is already a false assumption.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
I agree the dog needs training and jumping is an issue. And trust me, I had great Danes....jumping with large dogs can be quite the issue! (Mine never jumped on people ;) but I can imagine!)

This is the statement I wanted to address. A color WONT work without proper training. So this statement is already a false assumption.

I know collars aren't the ideal tool, but I really don't believe there is any other way at this point in time. I read all the reviews on Amazon and some models aren't good as others, but there are so many who practically claim the collar saved them. Now I'm not a dog trainer and have never used one, but I think there would be instructions because I know they are adjustable per dog from what I read.

I haven't looked on YouTube yet, but I'll bet there must be some more information there.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think we are misunderstanding each other..

I love pager/e collars. LOVE them! I use them, support their use, encourage people to look into them.... BUT the owners MUST do it right.

Putting it on the dog without knowing what you are doing will not work.

Using an E collar correctly takes poper training. A trainer who knows what they're doing. And if not done right, it does damage to the dog. Possibly physical more likely mental.

So, to say "this dog can't be trained I'll use an e collar" is an oxymoron. A dog HAS TO be trained to use a collar.

That's what I'm trying to share with you.

Last edited:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The Dogrta brand is my favorite. I didn't like the IQ and 300M was my model of choice. It's a great tool WHEN USED PROPERLY.

I've worked with animals my whole life and did small scale dog training. Even I hired an E collar professional to train me how to properly use the collar.
This is a training method you don't want to mess up on....

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
The Dogrta brand is my favorite. I didn't like the IQ and 300M was my model of choice. It's a great tool WHEN USED PROPERLY.

I've worked with animals my whole life and did small scale dog training. Even I hired an E collar professional to train me how to properly use the collar.
This is a training method you don't want to mess up on....
So you are saying I have to have a trainer to train her to be trained on the collar.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
It's in your best and the dogs best interest to do it right. Neither of you know what your doing. You can guess, read up on it...BUT the errors you encounter can be pretty damaging.

Have kids? Do they drive a car yet? Would you put your inexperienced 15 year old daughter behind the wheel of an awesome car, close the door and let her just try and figure it out? All alone? What could happen? Slim chances she gets it perfect. Greater chances she crashes, damages the car and I'm sure she'd be stressed out of her mind. Instead, as a loving parent, experienced in driving, you'd teach her how to drive. Sit shot gun and coach her through it.

You should have an experienced trainer coaching you how to properly use the collar (drive the car).

That's all I'm saying.

E collars do save people and dogs in tough spots. They can prevent issues too. BUT the best results will come from it being done right.
For every good outcome- when it's done right, you'll find a dozen horror stories from people doing it wrong.

Try it yourself if you must. I cared too much about my dog to error.

Treat training done wrong just creates a fat pooch. E collar training done wrong can hurt a dog and mess with their mind.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I think if you'd just said, "I'm thinking about using an e collar" it'd be one thing.

But saying, "well, training won't work so ill result to an e collar" gave me the impression you didn't know training with an e collar was required. It gave me the impression you thought it was the Staples "easy" button. Just slap it on and perfectly behaved dog appears.

If that is in fact what you thought, I'm trying to tell you that's not the reality and your are setting yourself (and the dog) up for failure.

I hope I was wrong and that you were implying "all other training methods have failed you, so you were ready to take the jump into hard core training with the collar"

Anyway. Good luck with what you decide. I don't want to beat a dead horse.

If you want any more collar input from me specially, just ask.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The point of the ecollars is to train your dog not to do the bad habits you don't like. They are norm on ust keep shocking the dog when the dog doesn't behave. There is a way to train the dog with these collars. It can be done yourself, but you have to take the time to do it right and it sounds like no one had time for this dog.
A bad dog is the fault of the humans. Very few really bad dogs in the world. A lot of really bad dog owners though. Don't hate the dog for what the owners did.

JohnnyB65

Southern CA High Desert
Well I just fast forwarded through a lot of YouTube videos on the subject and I’m growing tired. I didn’t find anything that even looked like they were doing it right so tomorrow I’ll call PetSmart and see if they have anybody that can help me.

I guess if I’m going to get this done I’ll probably have to pay for it myself. The dog was taken in for some training about 5 years ago if I remember correctly and the dog is still just as obnoxious as she was then.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well I just fast forwarded through a lot of YouTube videos on the subject and I’m growing tired. I didn’t find anything that even looked like they were doing it right so tomorrow I’ll call PetSmart and see if they have anybody that can help me.

I guess if I’m going to get this done I’ll probably have to pay for it myself. The dog was taken in for some training about 5 years ago if I remember correctly and the dog is still just as obnoxious as she was then.
I used to be a dog trainer. Although we call it dog training, we are really training the people. My dogs passed their training, the humans, well, if I could had flunked them, most wouldn't have passed. There is no sense in training this dog, if everyone in the house isn't on bored. Everyone has to be a part of it and consistent with the training. I do hope you will understand though that this is the fault of the owner and don't take it out on the dog. In the right hands, that dog could be trained to do a lot of things in a day. Like the dog whisperer says, he trains people and rehabilitates dogs. Rehabilitates them from the wrong that was done to them by owners that didn't do right by the dog in the first place. Good luck and be in the side of the dog. He wants to be trained as much as you want him to be.