Neighbors dog is very aggressive & barks at anyone on the sidewalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Any advice is welcome. Here is some background, my new neighbors moved in only about a month & a half ago, have a mid-size dog(mix of maybe pit bull and not sure what else) that barks very aggressively at anyone walking on the sidewalks near the building. The barking generally is followed by growling and snarling(growling while showing teeth) while the dog peers down and follows you on the balcony. I believe this to be aggressive territorial barking, which doesn't stop until the passerby is out of the dogs sight. And being an animal trainer myself, cannot tolerate this intimidation issue as I walk home everyday.

So far I have implemented a 2 part solution, first I do not keep walking if the dog is barking, but instead turn and face the dog until he stops-then i continue on my way. My criteria for the conditioning is: that I stop and face the dog as long as he barks, not breaking eye contact. When the barking stops AND the dog 1lays down not barking or 2turns around not barking, THEN i leave-(but this has its own draw backs, mainly the time on my part to condition the dog not to bark at me, and uncontrollable factors such as other people that are walking by shifting the focus of the dog and heightening the bark response, so essentially i am training and retraining the same thing over and over which only confuses him as other people reinforce the behavior i am trying not to reinforce)

Which leads me to part 2, I introduced myself to my neighbors and offered to work with them on some behaviors, but i doubt they will take me up on it. I hope they do, but they are busy with an infant baby and i am sure time for them, like all of us, is nonexistent.

The only other thing i know to do is report them, but as having an aggressive dog, but i really don't want to punish the dog for the owner's lack of training him.

Has anyone been in this situation/have any suggestions?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The first thing that popped into my mind was for you to make a sign...like a sandwich board...that you could put on the sidewalk that would ask passersby to please move into the street or across the street while you train the dog to not bark.

Sorry...that's the only thing I came up with.

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
Yup, sure have. Neighbors pit bulls have killed every one of my chickens. They've attacked my dogs, chased my grandkids, and come after me. They've been reported multiple times. They get rid of one pit and then get another one.

My solution problably won't work for you, but I'm a firm believer of the 3 S's.

shoot
shovel
shut-up.

I do love dogs, I have 3 of my own, and fostering 2 others (their mom is in Afghanistan), but I will NOT tolerate aggression. I feel sorry for the dogs, but I will protect my own animals.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
well, i live in an apartment complex in the middle of tampa, so... can't shoot him(he is still on their property), and the sidewalk is public domain & the main route to my building. Hence the reason they can't do anything about me conditioning him when i am walking by (and why i officially offered to work with them). It is a weird position. I could just suck it up and let him bark, but that goes against everything I teach and do in my professional life.

tweeter said:
Yup, sure have. Neighbors pit bulls have killed every one of my chickens. They've attacked my dogs, chased my grandkids, and come after me. They've been reported multiple times. They get rid of one pit and then get another one.

My solution problably won't work for you, but I'm a firm believer of the 3 S's.

shoot
shovel
shut-up.

I do love dogs, I have 3 of my own, and fostering 2 others (their mom is in Afghanistan), but I will NOT tolerate aggression. I feel sorry for the dogs, but I will protect my own animals.

if he were coming onto my property, i wouldn't have an issue with that, but he hasnt yet. The owners do keep him locked up during the day, which is good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Maybe you could offer to the neighbors your concern for the dog if someone were to turn them in and then offer your training services again but make sure they understand that you would do it for free, that is of course you are willing to do it for free. Also, in Chicago there is a dog barking ordinance that not only is enforced at nite but also during the day for continuing barking. Look up the ordinance where you live or maybe there is an ordinance within the complex that you could tell them about and your concern about someone turning them in and the possible consequences it may entail for them. Also, maybe they could block the dog from being able to see through the fence and possibly this will stop the dog.
Good luck

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
wellington said:
Maybe you could offer to the neighbors your concern for the dog if someone were to turn them in and then offer your training services again but make sure they understand that you would do it for free, that is of course you are willing to do it for free. Also, in Chicago there is a dog barking ordinance that not only is enforced at nite but also during the day for continuing barking. Look up the ordinance where you live or maybe there is an ordinance within the complex that you could tell them about and your concern about someone turning them in and the possible consequences it may entail for them. Also, maybe they could block the dog from being able to see through the fence and possibly this will stop the dog.
Good luck

yes if they do take me up on helping with training, it will be for free. i will also look up the ordinances here also, thanks for the suggestion

african cake queen

5 Year Member
ct.usa
hi my bulldog used to bark his head off till i got an air horn, and a water pistol. good luck

tweeter

5 Year Member
NC
I would also be concerned that he might get over the fence/barrier and go after you or someone else. You could mention that to them as well. Hopefully they'll take you up on your offer, that's very very nice of you :)

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
are they home often enough to see it is an issue? is the building management aware of it? maybe record it and show it to them and building management, offering to management your service as a trainer...they may give them an ultimatum to either try the training, get rid of the dog or move out...and they dont have to know the informing was done solely by you, as you said this happens with all the people that pass by.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
pdrobber said:
are they home often enough to see it is an issue? is the building management aware of it? maybe record it and show it to them and building management, offering to management your service as a trainer...they may give them an ultimatum to either try the training, get rid of the dog or move out...and they dont have to know the informing was done solely by you, as you said this happens with all the people that pass by.

i have only noticed them home when the dog has access outside, good advice. thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tom is absolutely correct....IMHO

Also, this dog may not be aggressive unto himself....he may have the fence aggression behavior...so you may just be offended at him barking at you when in actuality it is nothing personal and folks walking past are simply a game to him (likely a bored dog--with his owners being busy with a baby)...maybe offer to exercise the dog---walk him, run him....vs turn him in....IMHO that is...he is on his property (his little chunk of his world) and he is doing what a dog should do...passerby--bark---person goes away---job done---he is proud of himself....:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
The dog should be adjusted by now.. since he isnt.. he needs training.. since he wont get it, and balcony is no life for a dog.. they should re home him..
if it cont.. see if managment can get them to do it. or can animal control and see if there is a barking ord. Fines might make them do something about it..
Id keep walking too.. staring a dog down is a threat.. if that dog ever gets loose? carry a cane and a air horn.. or pepper spray...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
zesty_17 said:
The only other thing i know to do is report them, but as having an aggressive dog, but i really don't want to punish the dog for the owner's lack of training him.

I am missing something here...why would you report him? Glad your not my neighbor. I have dogs and I want them to bark when ever any person is walking past my place. I have dogs not just for companionship, but protection too for me, my other animals (like the tortoises) and my property.

This dog is on HIS own property.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Thank You Jacqui. I wrote several answers to this, but deleted them before posting. Glad I live where people aren't so intolerant of their neighbors.
Jacqui said:
zesty_17 said:

I am missing something here...why would you report him? Glad your not my neighbor. I have dogs and I want them to bark when ever any person is walking past my place. I have dogs not just for companionship, but protection too for me, my other animals (like the tortoises) and my property.

This dog is on HIS own property.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Would there be the same concern if the dog was a poodle or chihuahua? likely not----as that behavior is often associated with "yappie" dogs....and unfortunately a larger dog barking, that possibly may have pit bull mixed in, is automatically considered aggressive.....just saying is all....:D

I am so NOT jumping on you about this.....you may be absolutely correct in that the dog is aggressive, you may be wrong on the same note.....there are SOOOOO many dogs that are aggressive that live out their lives without any contact with others outside of their owners...so if it were me I would just continue on my walk ....

Also, keep in mind that once the animal control is contacted the ultimate outcome for that dog will likely be dismal at best, especially if he appears to have any pit bull mix...is he really behaving in such a way he should pay with his life?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ascott said:
Also, keep in mind that once the animal control is contacted the ultimate outcome for that dog will likely be dismal at best, especially if he appears to have any pit bull mix...is he really behaving in such a way he should pay with his life?

This is one of my main concerns, too. Once officials get involved in anything, it always seems to take on a life of it's own and things get crazier and more out of hand. Neighbors turn on each other and become enemies. I think in the end, the dog will suffer.

I also wondered if the baby issue is one for the dog too. HE may be doing more protecting because of it or because he has found if he barks, his humans give him more attention like they use to.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Personally, I would leave it be unless the dog is a real threat. Usually telling someone somthing like that about their dog is just gonna get them upset with you and rather than having a barking angry dog you now have an issue with your neighbor, seems to me that once you have a tiff with your neighbor it is never the same and the two of you will always be battling out your issues. So unless the dog is able to attack you or is barking very late at night i think i would just keep walking by or find a new route.

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
RE: Neighbors dog is very aggressive & barks at anyone on the sidewalk

I would be concerned if there is a chance that the dog could harm me or if I could hear it constantly from in my apartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.