Need urgent advice concerning a neglected tortoise

Drewski1988

Location (City and/or State)
ENGLAND UK LEICESTER
Yes mate that OK.

I'm not sure about the paperwork situation. I got all documents when I bought my torts. With the superman hero;) scenario your in I'm not sure:) Someone on here will help you out. I don't even know if the rules are different in Europe to USA.

Good luck. Its excellent what you have done.
:D

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Just thinking about those documents, I can't remember if we got them after the torts. I'll ask the missus when I get home, she will remember. Dawn can remember how many pints I drunk 23/07/1993. hahahaha. Memory like an elephant. :)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So you got it safe and sound. That's it now, your in the tortoise world, no escaping. :)

How long is the plastron on your tort.

Drewski1988

ENGLAND UK LEICESTER
So you got it safe and sound. That's it now, your in the tortoise world, no escaping. :)

Yes I did thank you :D I have no idea I need to measure it really I also need to sex it so I can stop calling it an it haha, ill measure tonight though and post a pic up of the rear end so someone can sex it for me.

Drewski1988

ENGLAND UK LEICESTER
if you take a picture of the tail area someone may be able to tell you the gender. I am amazed that you saved this beautiful animal :) congrats on the and great job. :)this story made me cry. :) hugs
Hello sorry for the late picture but is this picture good enough to tell the sex? 20150216_080843.jpg

Drewski1988

ENGLAND UK LEICESTER

Hello I measured the plastron from top to bottom its 5.7 inch I didn't even think to measure it left to right until just now like a spud haha

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There is a very good tortoise group in Leicester think its around Blaby - my sister lives in Leire and she contacted the man who runs it on my behalf when I first took in my Leopard. He was very helpful and my sister said he was too only happy help - I think you can Google them for contact details. They have meetings with vets attending who will do health checks on torts before and after hibernation - think its free but can't be sure about that. Anyway give them a call for good local advice.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Googled it for you - it's called the Leicester Tortoise Society and it is Blaby - monthly meetings so plenty of advice on hand there - wish I had one near me!!

Drewski1988

ENGLAND UK LEICESTER
20150217_193524.jpg 20150217_193655.jpg
I'm going for male @Tom will know.
Hello mate as you can see the tortoise is loving its new home thanks to you :D its really livened up in the short space of time especially since its been in this table you were so kind to give me you wouldn't even think its the same tortoise that was near deaths door not even two weeks ago

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 118897 View attachment 118898
Hello mate as you can see the tortoise is loving its new home thanks to you :D its really livened up in the short space of time especially since its been in this table you were so kind to give me you wouldn't even think its the same tortoise that was near deaths door not even two weeks ago
I should post a photo of the entire enclosure so someone can advise you on how to set it up. It maybe the photo's angle put that bulb looks too low. If I remember right the suggestion on the box of that bulb is 30cm/12" above tort is about right.
So happy for you:)

Drewski1988

ENGLAND UK LEICESTER
I should post a photo of the entire enclosure so someone can advise you on how to set it up. It maybe the photo's angle put that bulb looks too low. If I remember right the suggestion on the box of that bulb is 30cm/12" above tort is about right.
So happy for you:)
ok ill post one of the entire tank and yh ok ill raise it more when I get home thanks for the advise

Drewski1988

ENGLAND UK LEICESTER
Hello sorry for the late photos as I haven't had time to upload them I just have a spider plant sitting in the tank in its pot and a Boston fern sitting over the tank I keep it in view but out of reach as it would take up the whole table near enough I've got a cuttlefish bone in there where I keep the food bowl I try to keep that area free of substrate so there's no ingestion which as you can see is nearly impossible haha I do need to get more plants to brighten it up a little more but that's going to have to wait for now as we speak im growing cat grass in a tray pansies in a tray and other edible plants in trays its just a waiting game yawn :D I keep a dry mix food in there at all times and I also feed greens in the morning and night I try to give as much variety as possible I can grab various weeds and grasses when I walk my dog I have a PDF print off from the tortoise table that I take with me to make sure I identify the plants correctly as some plants look very similar but I always double check I also put a pinch of calcium and vitamin dust twice a week on the greens I also let the tortoise stretch its legs a couple of times a week on the bedroom floor supervised of course and as you can see my daughter loves and helps out with the tortoise as she does the rest of the animals :) 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
The only thing I would suggest is to use a zip tie/ cable tie on that cord so the light doesn't fall if that clamp fails. That happens a lot with those clamps and it could fall on the tort.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
just some way of tying the cord to the post. I think it would be a lot safer.

Attachments

• light.jpg
    light.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 11

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He looks really happy, thank goodness you found him in time.

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Swansea UK
Omg poor little tort,he must think he's in heaven now,Tort situation in the UK is getting chronic,and it's going to get a lot worse soon.
Don't suppose theres anyone from or near Birmingham UK thats looking to buy a Russian,Found 1 that needs to be rehomed asap
There is a very good tortoise group in Leicester .
Lyn i bought my first Russian from Newport

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi pepsiandjac its a small world! Did you buy your Russian from a dealer or pet shop - I haven't managed to find a decent reptile shop in my area, just had to buy my bits and bobs from places like the Range or Pets at Home.

I know that the Leicester Tortoise Group will rehome your lost tort and the British Association of Tortoise Keepers BATK in Lemington Spa will also take them in to rehome. The head of the small animal section at Longleat House recommended the latter to me when Lola was first found because they make sure they are checked over by vets and quarantined with foster carers before being rehomed and the new homes are inspected to make sure it is suitable - sounds strict but then at least they know the torts are going to good homes. Don't think either would buy it from you though if it is a found one. Hope you find a good home for it soon.