Need somebody help

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuki851015

5 Year Member
Currently I have 2 5" yellow belly slider they are healthy and eating well their current diet is tetra fauna: reptomin, reptotreat and market shrimp, however the only thing I'm worry about is that they eat small pieces of gravel I'm not sure if that is normal, but I hope you guys can help me, should I keep the gravel in my tank or should I change it do sand ??? Thanks in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, yuki851015!!

I'm not real familiar with the inner workings of a water turtle's body, but I have rescued lots of water turtles who then proceed to poop out small pebbles and gravel. I'm not sure, but I THINK they eat these to help break down their food. I know that some birds have to eat gravel for this reason.

But then, on the other hand, maybe the turtle is just hungry. :p

yuki851015

5 Year Member
Well I feed them twice daily do you think I should change their diet??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You can add some crickets and worms to the diet. Also some water plants like hyacinth. Water turtles are very good at making you think they are hungry. Feeding once a day is fine. But vary what you feed. So today give them the Reptomin, tomorrow some crickets, the next day worms and so on.

yuki851015

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
You can add some crickets and worms to the diet. Also some water plants like hyacinth. Water turtles are very good at making you think they are hungry. Feeding once a day is fine. But vary what you feed. So today give them the Reptomin, tomorrow some crickets, the next day worms and so on.

Thank u so much !!! It's really help !!!!

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
its bad for them to eat gravel,i suggest to just get a bare bottom tank with some big rocks or sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.