Slider Turtle & tank help

Sammy714

Location (City and/or State)
CA
1A7A8ABE-45AF-44B7-A29B-F7FC471F3378.jpeg 01B6031B-94A5-4BFA-B9B8-221E1098E147.jpeg 74D65884-7586-4669-BF10-6F5CB566B0B4.jpeg 0AD042FE-34D9-4123-AA41-D02D29BB6E77.jpeg
Hello everyone I am new here

I recently purchased a turtle tank set at a pet expo it is a 40gallon tetra tank with a tetra viquarium and tetra repto filter it also came with a aquatic turtle uvb 5.0 reptisun & heat bulb (50w) combo lighting kit along with a extra red night light bulb (60w)the seller assured me this is everything I need

can anyone tell me if everything is in order are these products appropriate for a happy healthy turtle

I currently have 1 Red ear slider hatchling that I am baby sitting Till my friend gets his tank with a few guppies I plan on getting one Nicaraguan slider along a Mexican ornate slider and a Belize slider I have a outdoor pond for when they get bigger I don’t plan on leaving them in the 40g

any information would be greatly appreciated if my tank needs improvements or if something is wrong please feel free to notify me

thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The coil bulb is bad on eyes and the red bulb should not be used for night time.
The combo light fixtures are not the best either. But we can make it work if you can't take it back.
Replace the coil bulb with a Che and get a tube flourescent uvb light unless you have a bulb other then the coiled one that gives uvb then you don't need the tube. You also need a basking spot with heat over it. No lights at night.
In the future if they are selling it they will tell you anything to make the sale.
Asking here first will save you money and hassle.

Sammy714

CA
Thank you so much for your help
I figured his information was not correct
I’ll look into getting a ceramic heat bulb along with a different single brooder lamp too
A hood with fluorescent uvb bulb to rest on top of my screen would this be adequate or will this block uv
I also do not have a water heater in the tank as I was told room temp would be fine would this be a problem for hatchling sliders my zoo med digital thermometer reads 70-80 currently at 77 the heat light I have sits on top of the water and rock area where it often comes out to bask thanks again for your help much appreciated

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't need the tube flourescent uvb if you already have a uvb, unless the coil bulb is your uvb then yes, stop using that one. Uvb gets diminished going thru screen or glass. A water heater is needed if the Che's won't keep it warm enough at night when all other lights are off. Read the water temp towards the bottom and middle. The top will always be warmer cuz of the lights. The basking area should be 95-100.
@Anthony P can help you better with water temps for hatchlings.

Sammy714

CA
7B75882A-DDC2-4209-8AA3-EA9CABC83771.jpeg I am currently using the reptisun 5.0 13w compact bulb in the combo light is this considered a coil uvb as well i have it with the heat bulb 50w are these bulbs safe or would I need to change would the ceramic heat bulb be more adequate than the 50w heat bulb

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
View attachment 256001 I am currently using the reptisun 5.0 13w compact bulb in the combo light is this considered a coil uvb as well i have it with the heat bulb 50w are these bulbs safe or would I need to change would the ceramic heat bulb be more adequate than the 50w heat bulb

I've seen reports of eye issues even with that style of compact flourescent light. I would play it safe and get a long tube style UVB bulb.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
When he gets bigger you'll find the ReptoFilter / Tetrafauna filter won't be able to keep up keeping the water clear. You'll probably want to invest in an external canister filter when that time comes.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You'll find that filter won't be the greatest once the turtle gets a little bigger but will do for a baby. If you go with a mercury vapor bulb this will provide UVB and heat all in one. I keep a heater in my sliders tank set at about 78 - 80 degrees