Need some opinions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinytopaz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oakley, Ca
Hello all! Im new to the forum and to the tortoise world. I have been researching for about 5 months now on proper care for a leopard tortoise. Ive been wanting one for quite some time and have been busy building an area in my yard for the full grown version of the baby leopard I plan on bringing home soon. I have a table setup in my living room for now that has a dry end of sphagnum moss with a hide. The middle is sphagnum moss and play sand mixed, and kept a bit moist. The last end is very moist and has the basking light attatched to the wall hanging down straight over the small piece of flagstone for the basking site.
My question is, what is the best lighting setup? I think I have over researched it and I have gotten myself so confused!
Thanks for any input anyone may have!

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
You just need a 100 watt uva/uvb bulb and a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter. I use zoo med powersun it cost about $70.00 You will also need a heat gun or thermometer to measure the temps and a good idea to measure humidity as well. I would scrap the sand because if it eats it it could get impacted. I had that problem when my first tort was small and its not pleasant. Cypress mulch works great and will hold moisture. I also use plain cheap bagged dirt. Sounds like you are ready for your little one. I am so happy that you got everything ready before hand. Welcome to TFO

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi TinyTopaz:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Hello, and Welcome!
You Can Go With A Zoo Med PowerSun 100wat uvb and Heat
Or ExaTerra 120w Uvb an Heat

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Missy said:
You just need a 100 watt uva/uvb bulb and a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter. I use zoo med powersun it cost about $70.00 You will also need a heat gun or thermometer to measure the temps and a good idea to measure humidity as well. I would scrap the sand because if it eats it it could get impacted. I had that problem when my first tort was small and its not pleasant. Cypress mulch works great and will hold moisture. I also use plain cheap bagged dirt. Sounds like you are ready for your little one. I am so happy that you got everything ready before hand. Welcome to TFO

I second all of this. I know how confusing the light/heat issue is. It really threw me for a loop too after reading all the comments posted. I ended up with exactly what Missy is suggesting here.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the important thing now is who you get teh baby from... someone who is just making money or someone who is up on the latest theories and health of babies?

tinytopaz

5 Year Member
Oakley, Ca
emysemys said:
Hi TinyTopaz:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Wow thank you all for such a warm welcome! I am in Oakley, Ca. I believe its somewhat near Clovis? I have already ordered my bulbs for the inside enclosure. I got an 18" Zoomed Reptisun 5.0. I also got a 100watt basking lamp. Is a ceramic heater better? Outback I have an enclosure ready to go, with exception of the tortoise grass. I wont actually grow that until it lives outside all the time. Its about 35 x 40 feet. Is there anything last minute that can be recommended?
Andi

Laura said:
the important thing now is who you get teh baby from... someone who is just making money or someone who is up on the latest theories and health of babies?

Im going to be bringing my baby Leopard home from the Herp show in San Jose, Ca. Its either that or I go to the East Bay Vivarium. I have gotten Dart frogs from them in the past and I find their animals healthy and they are really helpful there. I think I might be afraid to just buy a tortoise from someone I dont know, my animals are spoiled and I like to thouroughly research before I jump into a serious commitment. (My poor husband, right?)
Andi

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
Welcome to TFO.

If your in California, we have quite a few Leo breeders on the forum. Snoop around and see who has what available, or soon available.

Status
Not open for further replies.