Need some help with measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

swimqt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
I'm not sure if any of you remember but I posted a while back about taking in a sulcata. It turned out that the lady decided she wanted to keep him, but now he is too big for her to handle. I will be picking him up when she is back in town next month but until then she is unavailable.

First of all, she says he is 2 ft long and 16 inches wide, weighing 87 pounds. Does this all sound right to you?

Also, this may be hard,but how tall do these tortoises usually stand? I want to make his burrows and doors tall enough but I don't know the standard height.

Thank you again for all your help.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
The weight and measurements she gave you sound about right,I have a 26+ in long( guessing about 100 pounds) 16 year old sulcata, can't remember the width but between 16 and 18 in, I just went and measured the entrance to his burrow and it is 16 in tall by 27,5 in wide,the bottom is dirt, the 2 sides and top are wood, he was 6 years smaller when he started using this burrow in the summertime,it gets bigger as it goes down underground, and he moves dirt to make the entrance bigger as needed, in the winter he use's his heated house and I block the entrance down to 36 by 17 inches to conserve heat loss. 17 inches gives him plenty of shell clearance as he goes in and out. Hope this helps

swimqt

5 Year Member
Northern California
That more than helps. Thank you so much. I'm going to start working on his home tomorrow and you never realize all the little stuff you never thought of until right before you start working!

Status
Not open for further replies.