Need some advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
OK I need some help on how to convince my fiancé that we should NOT get another tortoise. She found the Ivory tortoises and she wants one bad. Don't get me wrong, I love the two little guys that I have, but I still think it might not be a good idea. I tried to use the reasoning that we don't have the room, but we have a few acres that we are not using at all so that didn't work. I though bout trying to say we don't have a building big enough for them in winter, but she'll just say we can build one, I mean she is right, I'm going to have to build one for the two I have anyway, just as I'll have to clear out a few acres for them. I just really need some help. If nothing else anybody on here can you give me any ideas of how your significant other has distracted you from buying more tortoises?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Generally just putting your foot down and saying "no" is a way that works. That's what my wife always does with me when I want something (even if it's not tortoise-related).

Is she going to care for it or are you? Maybe if you make it clear to her that you will not care for her new tort and that she will have to do it all (which includes helping clear out part of the acreage for it and help build the winter enclosure) you can make it seem like more work than its worth to her.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
That is actually a good idea, she is not a fan of physical labor lol. I might have to try that. Although I am not too good at saying no to her, but she is a pro at telling me no lol

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Albinoboidsetc said:
That is actually a good idea, she is not a fan of physical labor lol. I might have to try that. Although I am not too good at saying no to her, but she is a pro at telling me no lol

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
I actually keep telling her that she just needs to get no tattooed on her hand that way she doesn't even need to stop whatever she is doing when I ask her a question :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Can't help you there. I want one too.

I think she's got you on this one...

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
I've been doing some looking and they are cool. I still don't know about it though,I am still brand new to tortoises and I'm just afraid that that with 3 I might be pushing my luck a bit too far. But they are neat looking. Now I really need a good reason not to buy one, they are alot cheaper then I thought they would be too. :(

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
IF you can aford them and the care and heat and.... and if your home is stable and wont be losing it or moving.. then sit and talk about it..

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
My hubby let me get a real nice purse so that I would not get another great dane from germany! Other than that; its real hard to change a womans' mind. lol:p Sorry

BTW how much did ya find one for? The cheapest I found was 400. I really want one too

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
Laura said:
IF you can aford them and the care and heat and.... and if your home is stable and wont be losing it or moving.. then sit and talk about it..

Money, space, time, and stability are, luckly, non-issues for me. I'm just worried about making too many mistakes seeing as how I am so new to them. I've got 20+ years of experience with snakes and lizards and I still learn new things all the time but I literally have 1 year of keeping tortoises and I found out just this past month that what I thought was right was most assuredly not.

Maybe I'll have to do some serious talking with her, or I can use shmily's idea and buy her something else, she does like shoes. Oh to answer you I saw a guy on KS selling some for 700.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
OK we have been doing some talkng and it looks like sometime in the next year we might to be seriously looking for an Ivory Tort so she is going to be on here reading everything like I have been and she is going to start doing more then just looking at Dipp and Dott and if she can prove to me that she is serious about wanting one and not just wanting to add to my work loadm I'll get one. But she has agreed to not ask for anymore or she has to sell her shoes. So who do you guys think is the best person to buy one from.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How about the guy who created them?

http://ivorytortoise.com/

Richard Fife is a great guy and an excellent breeder/keeper. There is nobody I would recommend more for any tortoise really. There are a whole bunch of forum members who have bought their tortoises from him, and I cannot recall hearing anything but good reports. When you see the pics of really smooth Leopard babies here on the forum, most of those came from Richard. Buying one from him insures a great head start. His customer service is great and he is a great contributor of knowledge to the tortoise world.

Some other forum members tease me because I like the guy so much. Yes, I am a fan of his. But that's what you get if you are a good guy, donate your time to answer a bunch of my silly questions, make HUGE contributions to the world of tortoise keeping, sell a great product and offer great customer service.

Albinoboidsetc

5 Year Member
NC
Tom said:
How about the guy who created them?

http://ivorytortoise.com/

Awesome, thanks. I just looked at the site and it is now book marked so if she earns it, I'll get her one. I do have to say the price he has listed is alot more like what I was expecting them to be, now I'm wondering why all of the other people I saw with them were arounbd the $700 range. I'll be reading all the info I can on his site and e-mailing him. Thanks agian Tom :)

Status
Not open for further replies.