Need opinions on new outdoor enclosure

DeceivedPants28

Hey I built Yoshi her first outdoor enclosure today. Since she is wild caught I want to match her natural habitat as much as possible. This is the first outdoor pen I've ever built so any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. She will not be in it overnight ever but I am going to build a mesh lid for it soon. It has a good shade spot and I just put pesticide free dirt from my yard in it with sand underneath. Thanks guys! Also I know this isn't the right column for this but she will only eat worms. Superworms and earthworms. I am trying to slowly coax her into veggies. But how many superworms per day should I give her? I've been giving her 4-5 a day but she still seems hungry.

1436299570782.jpg 1436299615167.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Feed her earthworms and slugs and pill bugs and any other bug you can find. Make a leaf pile to encourage bug life so she can hunt.

Your new habitat is very small. It should be 3 times that size or more. Remember, she used to have an area the size of a football field at a minimum, and possibly much larger. You don't have to disturb the grass to enlarge the pen, or add substrate to all of it. You should plant shade plants for hides in it.

DeceivedPants28

Expanding it isn't going to an option right now. It is made out of a bookshelf that I hollowed out. Eventually I will find something bigger though. How many bugs per day should I feed her? When I feed even 7-8 bugs a day she still seems hungry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Since she's wild caught, you should consider yourself lucky that she's eating at all.

Box turtles are more carnivorous at this younger age. As they mature, they start being more interested in trying vegetation. I feed my box turtles as much as they'll eat.