Need imput on Russian Tortoises...First time owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Nor CAl

5 Year Member
Hello everybody.... I am a brand new owner of 2 Russian turtles from Petco.....After a lots of research overnight online, I have decided to build a outdoor enclosure for my Tortoises....I know they are in need of (HEAT) most of the time.....but after talking to a few knowledgeable people, and looking online...it looks like for some reason it appears that outside they will be fine even if temperatures don't reach 95+ degrees.....I leave in 60 miles proximity of San Fransisco, where in summers temperatures can get up to 110+degrees, and in winters as low as 30 degrees... I am planning on building an 8X4 box with 12" high walls, and poultry mesh screen on top. They will have a cover area to sleep in with an outdoor heat pad if needed to keep warm (>50degrees). I am planning and putting sqft of grass, as well as, bark or tortoise soil, and plants that they enjoy eating....
I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing for them...they are for my2 daughters age 4 and 6...and my tortoises appears to be around 3-4 years old.... I want them to last way beyond me if possible....so any imput from feeding to housing will help. THX
Jules

Jules Nor CAl

5 Year Member
Laura said:
outside is great, but if not kept warm with plenty of sunlight they will hibernate..

Thx for the info.... I am really worried about temperature.....I have plenty of sunlight here just in winter mid day runs about 55-68 degrees....Night time gets chilly about 30+ degrees-mid 40's.... Just want to make sure they won't be armed if I place them in that environment....Though during the winter days they will get sun about75% of the day with temp as High as 65-70 degrees.......
Thanks again for your help....

How much or they supposed to eat per/day? is their a specific ratio to tortoises? I have put tortoise food out and some greens... but i can't tell if their eating properly...... they mostly dig/explore around and sleep so far.... Once again thx again for all help....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jules and welcome to the Forum!

If you bought your tortoises at Petco, they're more like probably around 10 years old, or even more. The steppe tortoise is a pretty small variety tortoise, so your two only LOOK young.

What you have planned for an outdoor pen sounds pretty good, except I wouldn't plant grass. They don't eat that much grass, preferring the broad-leaf variety of weeds and plants.

I'm pretty sure that your two new tortoises are going to want to brumate (hibernate) if you leave them outside. They're tuned in to the shorter days and colder nights. If you don't want them to brumate, and we advise not allowing it the first year with you, then you'll have to set them up inside and leave their light on for 12-14 hours a day, with a bit of heat at night.

Jules Nor CAl

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Jules and welcome to the Forum!

If you bought your tortoises at Petco, they're more like probably around 10 years old, or even more. The steppe tortoise is a pretty small variety tortoise, so your two only LOOK young.

What you have planned for an outdoor pen sounds pretty good, except I wouldn't plant grass. They don't eat that much grass, preferring the broad-leaf variety of weeds and plants.

I'm pretty sure that your two new tortoises are going to want to brumate (hibernate) if you leave them outside. They're tuned in to the shorter days and colder nights. If you don't want them to brumate, and we advise not allowing it the first year with you, then you'll have to set them up inside and leave their light on for 12-14 hours a day, with a bit of heat at night.

That.s awesome info thx..... do you think it would be ok to let them be outside during the day (winter time in the outdoor enclosure and bring them in at night? this way they have plenty of space to run /dig around.... Also what would you suggest as a ground material for outside enclosure???? compact dirt where i can plant plants, or bark/tortoise soil...or combo? thx for everything

Jules Nor CAl

5 Year Member
mainey34 said:
Hello and welcome...here is a care sheet...
http://russiantortoise.net/

Thank you.... No where it tells me how much to feed them.... i gave them 2 small bowls of spring mix this morning and they devour it... I can't tell if they are eating their tortoise food???????? should i just put one bowl a day out? or refill when empty....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi! Sounds like you have some good thoughts in the works. Taking them out during the day (on warm enough days) and keeping them inside at night and/or cold days is how many in here do things. What made you decide to get tortoises?

Status
Not open for further replies.