Need help with enclosure for cherry heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimis

5 Year Member
So I have 2 four month old cherries on hold. Hope to get by end of month. I do plan on getting a couple more as well. ;-)
I am having a hard time figuring out what type enclosure to use for them. I currently have a 55 g and 40 g tanks available. I have been scouring for a rubbermaid tub type and haven't found one that is long and deep enough, the one I got I realized wouldn't be tall enough once I put substrate in.
I live in CO, have NO humidity. I am thinking I would have an easier time keeping humidity in a tank rather than a plastic tub. My breeder is not a fan of aquaria.
For substrate will be using coconut coir, some soil (want to grow plants) and peat or sphagnum moss. It would be much easier to change substrate, clean out in a tub- the 55g is not movable and the 40 g would be awkward to dump substrate out of. But both of these would be tall enough to build a second level for a little more space.
Thoughts? Anything to help me make a decision? ;-)
Thanks

EddieW

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Orlando
I recently purchased a 50 gallon rubbermaid stock tank and it has been perfect for my 2 three month old red foot's. The tank is plastic and will be plenty big enough for them for a couple of years. It gives you plenty of room for a couple of plants and whatever else you want to have put inside of it.

Here's a link to the stock tank. http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/nav/ca...kequipment_stocktanksaccessories_stocktanks/0

I go this route unless you want to build something yourself which is always an option.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When you say 40 gal, is that a 40 gal breeder aqua or just a regular one? I have used a 40 gal breeder for a couple of hatchling Cherryheads my daughter wanted to keep one fall-spring. Now you also say your getting a few more, will that be another enclosure?

Using the glass tank you do have to be more careful of breakage and they do weigh more. The advantage is you can see and enjoy them and their environment. It becomes the focal point of any room. I do find them easier to keep humidity up in. Plus if you need to have a lid on it (like if you have cats or small children), you can buy one at any petstore.

I also use a lot of the black stock tanks. I like them, they aren't too pricey, they are easy to drag outside for clean up, they hold up well. Downsides to me are you can't see into them, it is possible for a lamp to melt some of them, and you have to make your own lids. They because of the lid issue can also be harder to maintain humidity levels.

For me personally, I just don't really like using the plastic totes. They don't hold up as well, you once more have to build the lid, and a light could melt them. Other folks really love them.

The waterland tubs I have no yet had, but would love to (but for my spots). TO me they are really pricey and I would have to have one shipped, which adds quickly to the cost.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
Jacqui said:
When you say 40 gal, is that a 40 gal breeder aqua or just a regular one? I have used a 40 gal breeder for a couple of hatchling Cherryheads my daughter wanted to keep one fall-spring. Now you also say your getting a few more, will that be another enclosure?

Using the glass tank you do have to be more careful of breakage and they do weigh more. The advantage is you can see and enjoy them and their environment. It becomes the focal point of any room. I do find them easier to keep humidity up in. Plus if you need to have a lid on it (like if you have cats or small children), you can buy one at any petstore.

I also use a lot of the black stock tanks. I like them, they aren't too pricey, they are easy to drag outside for clean up, they hold up well. Downsides to me are you can't see into them, it is possible for a lamp to melt some of them, and you have to make your own lids. They because of the lid issue can also be harder to maintain humidity levels.

For me personally, I just don't really like using the plastic totes. They don't hold up as well, you once more have to build the lid, and a light could melt them. Other folks really love them.

The waterland tubs I have no yet had, but would love to (but for my spots). TO me they are really pricey and I would have to have one shipped, which adds quickly to the cost.

Same here! I really want to get a waterland tub but it is really pricey :/

Erimis

5 Year Member
It s a 40g breeder, Im kinda leaning towards using that one for my next beardie. I do like the tanks- they seem safer with lids and I like the visibility. I figure they'll be in the enclosure for a year or so and hope to talk my hubby into making a nice big enclosure

Zergy

5 Year Member
Valrico, FL
I also didn't find a plastic storage container big enough since the christmas tree storage containers (that are supposed to be much bigger than the normal ones with a higher wall) are only seasonal. I also have a 40-gallon breeder tank, but with it weight I didn't want to use that. I was considering getting a waterland tub also if I could find it at the next reptile show, but the costs was much higher than the 40 gallon stock tank I bought from the tractor supply store. It isn't pretty, but if you can build a stand that houses it that should help the aesthetic looks.

I went with a plastic tub because I can carry it outside for cleaning and I don't have to worry about breakage or water leaks.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I use a 40 gal breeder tank for any hatchlings and younger Tortoises, and box turtles that are inside for the Winter. They hold humidity well, and if you plant in them there is really hardly any maintenance at all. I only clean my vivariums once every 6 months...Spring and Fall. I do spot cleaning occasionally for the Cherry Heads, but rarely for the box turtles. I change the water once a day for all of them. As they get older I just upgrade to a bigger tank if any has to stay inside. To me they are just much easier to mimic the natural environment which your species comes from. When I do clean them out I use a small shovel that you get with a broom to sweep dirt in. Then are plastic and don't scratch the tank and I just shovel everything out into a plastic bag and put that in my compost in the yard. I keep a 95 gal in my living room, set up for my 1 yr. old Cherry head, who has to come in for the Winter.
060-2.jpg

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
Wow terryo, that looks very nice. Could you post an up-close of the viv?

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
WoW! You are talented. I have a 40 g that needs to be redone so I may may poach some of your designs. Hope you don't mind.

tertle

5 Year Member
this thread was so helpful thankyou everyone! I have been trying to find out if i can keep two cherry heads about 3-4 inches together for about a year... i'm going to assume based on this thread that it's doable, can someone confirm (or is there still a large risk ur taking for putting two together?)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Red foots (cherry heads) are often housed together as adults with little to no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.