Need Help to I.D. this little Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

agc wildlife

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Freeport / Lena, Illinois
We are a Wildlife center that normally take's in Wild Animals.
When we arrived today, we found a box with this guy in and note please take care of my friend. He has not eaten anything for 2 weeks and I can not afford a vet. We need to I.D. him so we know where to go from here. Also any suggestions are welcome. Attached is a photo of the little guy..

Attachments

• newtort.jpg
    newtort.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 103

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
That is a young sulcata tortoise.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
He should have an enclosure with a gradient from the 70s to 95/100. He needs to warm up to the 80s to even think about eating. You can offer chemical free safe weeds and grasses (look these up on a reputable tortoise website) like dandelions, or in a pinch, dark leafy greens like spring mix are fine (not iceberg). If you have specific questions that is much easier for us. Take a look at the following: http://www.sulcata-station.org/ and http://africantortoise.com/sulcata.htm

A baby bath warm soak in a pan of water up to a level where the top and bottom shells meet (the tortoise should not need to hold its head out of the water) for 10 minutes daily for a bit then every few days or so can help with hydration. A dish to soak in should be available at all times. Placing boxes or containers to hide in near the food and near the warm spot in the enclosure will help the little one feel safe. Tortoises need UVB. If it is warm enough for the tortoise to spend time outside while you watch that is ideal. Otherwise, soon you will need to get a UVB bulb. For heating, a ceramic heat emitter with a clamp lamp can suffice, as can regular light bulbs (no light at night, only 12-14 hours a day, and no heat is needed at night if over 60 F). They should receive heat from above, not below (such as a heat mat).

Is there any way you can get the tortoise to someone who can afford a vet? If the tortoise is not eating after 2 weeks either something is very wrong with the care or there is a medical problem. A local tortoise/reptile society may also be able to help.

Best wishes.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
He might be little now, but just give it a few years and he won't be little anymore. He's beautiful. Where are you located? There is a lot of people on this site that know about Sulcata's so if you need help with anything you're in the right place. Welcome. And please keep us updated on him and his progress. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Nice looking one.

VICtort

5 Year Member
That is Geochelone sulcatta, the African spur thighed tortoise. It is a real handful, as it can grow to be huge, over 150 lbs., and is probably the 3rd largest tortoise species. Sadly, you will be seeing more and more of them as naiive and/or irresponsible owners dump their problems on you and others...They are adorable hatchlings sold for low price and often results in them being treated as a disposable commodity. Not unlike the fate of Burmese pythons....

They are wonderfully personable and hardy animals for those prepared to handle these active and deliberate tortoises. Good luck, Vic H.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Bless you for taking the cute little guy in. Good luck finding him an appropriate home. Watch out! You may find yourself falling in love with the tyke and setting up your own micro-climate to suit your little giant so you can keep him!:p

agc wildlife

5 Year Member
Freeport / Lena, Illinois
So far he is doing great. He has been moving arond now and has eaten some green's.
I'm sorry people thought we could not afford a vet, we have one.
I was quoting from the note left on top of the box. I really appreciate all your help and look forward
to up-dating everybody on his progress. To answer the most common question... We are located near Freeport, Illinois.

Status
Not open for further replies.