My Little Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccky Furlano

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hey everyone,

So I have had my little guy for about a month now. Just wanted some input on how he's looking. I have read just about everything on this forum in regards to the sulcata's and am doing my best to make sure he grows with a nice shell. Only question I have that I'm not to sure about is how often do I sprinkle the calcium power on his spring mix greens. I attached a picture of the product I'm using. Thanks everyone ImageUploadedByTortForum1368374206.879901.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1368374224.540748.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1368374258.057521.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Urtle

5 Year Member
Looks good to me. I would use the powder once or twice a week.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome to the forum. Your baby looks okay to me. For young sulcatas, my preference is to sprinkle just a little pinch of calcium on the food twice a week. I also offer cuttle bone, so they have the choice to get more calcium if they feel the need.

Please look into adding much more variety to your babies diet. Sulcatas are grass eaters and grass should make up a substantial portion of their food intake. There are many ways to accomplish this. Ask if you need some suggestions. Also look into grape, mulberry, hibiscus and rose leaves. Spineless opuntia cactus is available for sale sometimes at Mexican style supermarkets.

You can also grow all of this yourself, and there are many species of weeds you can grow or scrounge to feed them too. Spring mix and grocery store foods should be a last resort in my opinion.

Niccky Furlano

5 Year Member
Toronto
I do feed him grass pellets also, to get him liking grass young. He loves them. Good product? ImageUploadedByTortForum1368393901.212625.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortoise007

5 Year Member
Phoenix AZ aria
I use grassland tortoise pellets sometimes also, but I think that almost everyone on the forum likes Mazuri best. Does your little guy have a humid hide? make sure to keep the substrate moist in his basking spot.

EllieN

5 Year Member
SF Bay Area
I think when you look at the nutritional content the Grasslands pellets are pretty similar to Mazuri.

Niccky Furlano

5 Year Member
Toronto
Ya. That's the one thing I'm on top of full time. Making sure humidity is at 80%. Tom stress' that its crucial to have the proper humidity. But ya he loves the grassland stuff but would have no problem trying the mazuri if its better for him!

Raeanncarr1

5 Year Member
It said on it min of two times a week read it

I have the same one I would know it say on the back

Status
Not open for further replies.