Need help! R.I.??

Jewel 6

I have a red footed tortoise she has not been eating good this summer. I took her to the vet and was told she was fine...but she is not she went from loving to eat can't wait for food to not even looking at her food! Now today at her soak I noticed bubbles coming from her nose and crusty eyes...I think she has a respiratory infection and the vet missed it ugh ...can this be treated at home? Or do I go back to the vet? I did not like the vet at all its an hour from my house and she made us wait 3 hours after my appointment to say she is fine feed her better ugh!

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
Most vets have no idea how to treat tortoises.
Please look at the vet list on this forum or let us know where you live.
Increase the warmth for your tortoise as this helps to build immunity.
Dontinue the soaks and please seek vet treatment again.

Jewel 6

I live in Litchfield Minnesota the vet I went to was a specialty vet I was told but not worth my money for sure ....If u can help me find a good vet I'm all for it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jewel 6, and welcome to the Forum!

Tortoises don't just get respiratory infections for no reason, so in order for us to be able to help you, we'll need some info from you and maybe even a picture of your habitat.

What is the measured temperature all over the whole habitat? What kind of light are you using? What are you feeding? Is the tortoise indoors or outside?

The most important question above is the temperature question. Since its been getting colder you have to double check to be sure its warm enough for the tortoise.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited:

Jewel 6

Temps are 90 to 95 on one side and about 75 to 80 on other we have a heat lamp and sun lamp for got what it's called that runs ...her habit was black dirt with grass planted .....I'm thinking my kids over soaked her this summer ...plus we went on vacation and had a baby sitter for her and I'm wondering if she got chilly over there...we provided lights and such for her but we were gone so just not sure if she was warm enough. ...we r cleaning her cage and starting over there

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
A couple of months ago, ai adopted a sick juvenile redfoot. The young owner kept him wet and cold. He was quite ill and fully recovered with proper vet care and home injections, warmth, good diet, etc.
Good luck!