Help again Annabella isn't eating properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Floresville TX
image.jpgMy red footed tort Annabella 5 years old.

When I first got Annabella the lady said to give her bananas apples & straberrys she said nothing about greens but i knew she needed them at the time i was t Sure what greens to get so i got romaine Lettuce.
She really liked it alot & for now until tomorrow thats all i have to give her. She will not eat it its been 4 days and when I let her out to play she goes strait to the cat food!!!! Why???
I do not want them eating from the same bowel so i gave her her own and she munched it down.

Like I had said before she seems healthy but from what I've read she's not eating like a red footed tortoise. Also her breathing sounds heavy at times i really think I may need to take her to the vet but its a hour n a half away and I have no car blah so have to see what I can do about that.

If you have any suggestions for the mean time please let me know.

I go to heb for her food what should I pick up that's best for her. I'm going to be ordering her some Forrest tort food also see if she likes it.

Thanks again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Mazuri, optunia cactus pads, greens, some uses boiled egg for their protein. Check out the tortoisetable.org and tortoiselibrary.com for more ideas. Also check out some threads of N2TORTS see what he feeds all his besides natural grazing.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
wellington said:
Mazuri, optunia cactus pads, greens, some uses boiled egg for their protein. Check out the tortoisetable.org and tortoiselibrary.com for more ideas. Also check out some threads of N2TORTS see what he feeds all his besides natural grazing.

Thanks I'm getting worried about her

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I can't tell how long you've been feeding her Romaine, but if she's had a diet that consists of 2-3 different greens and 2-3 fruits, my guess is she may be getting bored with the food options. Wellington nailed it with the two resources she provided, check those out for more feeding ideas.

I generally provide greens for my torts 5-6 days/week with a treat (fruit, mazuri, zoo med forest tortoise diet, etc.) occurring on the 6th or 7th day. Sometimes they get a fast day with nothing at all! Fruit should comprise a very small percentage of your tort's diet (~10%), same with protein (~5%). The majority should come from high fiber, low sugar greens. Here are some common lawn weeds and horticultural plants that mine enjoy:

Dandelion greens & flowers, Common mallow, plantains (not the fruit, Plantago species), grape leaves, hibiscus leaves & flowers, Rose of sharon leaves and flowers (a more temperate hibiscus), holyhock, violet/pansy/johnny jump up leaves & flowers, clovers, and the list goes on! Check out those two websites from Barb.

Jessicapinkie1

5 Year Member
Floresville TX
Redstrike said:
I can't tell how long you've been feeding her Romaine, but if she's had a diet that consists of 2-3 different greens and 2-3 fruits, my guess is she may be getting bored with the food options. Wellington nailed it with the two resources she provided, check those out for more feeding ideas.

I generally provide greens for my torts 5-6 days/week with a treat (fruit, mazuri, zoo med forest tortoise diet, etc.) occurring on the 6th or 7th day. Sometimes they get a fast day with nothing at all! Fruit should comprise a very small percentage of your tort's diet (~10%), same with protein (~5%). The majority should come from high fiber, low sugar greens. Here are some common lawn weeds and horticultural plants that mine enjoy:

Dandelion greens & flowers, Common mallow, plantains (not the fruit, Plantago species), grape leaves, hibiscus leaves & flowers, Rose of sharon leaves and flowers (a more temperate hibiscus), holyhock, violet/pansy/johnny jump up leaves & flowers, clovers, and the list goes on! Check out those two websites from Barb.

Hi thank you! I've actually just had her a week.
Before I got her alls she was getting was fruit.
I will get more verity for her :)
When I got her i wasn't sure what greens to get so i just got the one.

MildredsMommy

5 Year Member
San Antonio, Texas
Hello! I am in San Antonio, and we just got a Trader Joe's here...I am able to buy a greens mixture in the bag-as well as pre chopped veggies that include radishes, carrots, cabbage, and jicima. It is really well priced and worth the drive from Floresville...my RF was having issues eating due to an RI, and he loves the greens mixture. I also feed him Mazuri and fruit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.