Need Help, Information About Caring For Hermanns

Help2022

Location (City and/or State)
Milton Keynes MK35DX
I have recently become the owner of a 4 month old Hermann tortoise. He is the cutest little creature. I am now so worried about what to feed him on. There are so many conflicting lists of what I can and can't give him. And now, the heavy frosts over the past couple of days, have killed off the last few dandelion leaves. I am so worried about him. Could someone please give me advice on what to do.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I have recently become the owner of a 4 month old Hermann tortoise. He is the cutest little creature. I am now so worried about what to feed him on. There are so many conflicting lists of what I can and can't give him. And now, the heavy frosts over the past couple of days, have killed off the last few dandelion leaves. I am so worried about him. Could someone please give me advice on what to do.
Hello and welcome from Devon. We have a Hermann tortoise - he is 21 now - and if there isn't much wild food available, we give him
Rocket and Peashoots from Morrisons
Watercress from Sainsburys (theirs is the best)
Florette crispy mix salad from various supermarkets (not the lettuce, as there isn't much nourishment in it)
He loves radicchio, which we always keep in the fridge for him
He also loves dandelion leaves, but like you, we can't find much.
That's a start, anyway.
I would suggest you cut it up fairly small, so that he is more likely to try new stuff that way.
Best wishes from Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I've just noticed you have asked to delete your account, because you are in the UK - well, so am I, as I hope you've seen by now, and lots of other people, so don't be worried about that - this forum is a great place, with lots of help for you if needed. What is your baby's name?
Angie

TisMary

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hello! My Hermann's is just a little older than yours. We are in the midst of winter here in northeast US, so I can relate to your concerns! 2 things I recommend are becoming familiar with The Tortoise Table Plant Database and with botanical names for plants. "common names" for plants vary by locale, but the Latin "genus species" nomenclature is global - just so everybody's talking about the same plant!

Do you have any houseplants? I grow them to feed to and put in the enclosures of our Bearded Dragon (Ol' Stink Eye) and our WH tortoise (Smidgen). Tortoise favorites are definitely the succulents and cacti (the juicier the better!) Almost any species of Sedum (except Sedum Acre) are good ones, as well as all the Echeveria species. Oh! and then there's Prickly Pear Cactus (Opuntia spp.) I also plant Testudo Mix seeds in take-out tray lids (very shallow). It only takes a day for them to sprout and the little greens are ready to eat in a few days (maybe a week). I put the whole tray in his enclosure. When he's done with one (after a few days), I slide in another.

In his enclosure I have planted Spider Plants (Chlorophytum comosum), African Violets (Saintpaulia), Inch Plant (Tradescantia), sometimes called "Spiderwort" or "Wandering Jew", and Prayer Plants (Maranta leuconeura and Calathea spp.) These are all safe for him to eat which he does if he doesn't think I gave him enough! They're also (apparently!) fun to hide under and sit on!

Finally, I get greens at the grocery store. I keep them in the fridge, wrapped in paper towel (which I change out when it's damp) inside a plastic bag. I only wash a few leaves at a time (which I also wrap in paper towel and store separately from the larger, unwashed bunch). Favorites so far are mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, and bok choy. I switch off every week.

I hope this helps. Bounce back if you have more questions. Here's looking forward to dandelion greens in the yard come Spring!

Attachments

• DSCN3913.JPG
    DSCN3913.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN3987.JPG
    DSCN3987.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN3988.JPG
    DSCN3988.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 4