Need reassurance about caring for my Dwarf Hermann

Status
Not open for further replies.

laura121103

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cambridgeshire
Hi. I have a 1 year old dwarf hermann and just wanted to air my concerns.

Perhaps if I tell you about him and then maybe you could say whether you think this is normal!

Right - like I said he is 1 years old. (His came is Tully). He currently weighs 74g(!) Size wise - he fits nicely into the palm of my hand.

He mostly likes to eat watercress but does have a nibble on apple and carrot occasionally. I also offer him some pet shop bought tortoise food sometimes as I find this is the best way to give him his calcium supplement.

He sleeps alot! I tend to wake him up most days and he quite happily wanders around for a while and then goes back to his house. (I keep him in an open top tortoise table with basking lamp, uv strip and sheltered housing.

He mainly eats when I wave it in front of his nose and often goes a day or 2 without eating anything.

I took him to my local vets (who didn't know much) and they said he seemed perfectly healthy but still very small (he is a dwarf after all!) For that reason I have decided not to put him into hibernation this year. I feel he would lose too much of his already very tiny body weight.

So does this seem normal to you? Do you have any suggestions of other things you think he may enjoy to eat? Any help, tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

I have only had 4 weeks but already love him so much and want to do the best for him!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks

Laura

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Laura,
Welcome to the forum :)

You might want to give this care sheet a read as it might answer some of your questions about what to feed your Hermanns.

I wouldn't keep giving him the apple and would try to wean him off the pellets.

What are your temperatures like in your table, warm end, cool end, under the basking light and at night?
How long are your lights on for?

We would love to see pictures of Tully :) Not to many Western (dwarf) Hermanns, Testudo hermanni hermanni, around.

Danny

Ozric

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Laura, I am a big fan of this subspecies. I don't feel that your tort is small at all for his age, they are all different sizes. I have a little 4 year old that weighs 42g, but he is a tiny one.

Can you get dandellion greens where you are? Its a good food for them and mine like it a lot. Mine also like Raddicio, if you have that.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Your decision not to hibernate is a good one. It is generally agreed that new owners should never hibernate their tort the first year after aquiring it.
Good luck
Patsy

laura121103

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cambridgeshire
Thank you for your help guys, I feel alittle more reassured that I am kind of doing a good job! I will try and work out how to put some photos of him on here....

Laura

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Laura: I have no experience with this type of tortoise, but it is my opinion that if he eats when you ,"wave the food in front of him," then that's what you should do!! Babies are "prey" and as such, do a lot of hiding. Prepare his food in the morning and put it in the habitat. Get him out and give him a soak, then put him next to the food. Get out of his sight quickly and peak around at him. If he doesn't eat, then do your waving trick. Because they are small, it would be a good idea to try to get him to eat several times during the day. Make sure he is warm enough and has a nice hiding place, and sometimes it helps to cover the habitat so he feels more secure.

Yvonne

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Laura, you have a beautiful T. hermanni hermanni and you're doing a great job with it.:cool:
-Chris

laura121103

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cambridgeshire
Hi Everyone - I think Tully has a cold.... He is blowing snot bubbles from his nose and is sneezing. What should I do?

Laura

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
laura121103 said:
Hi Everyone - I think Tully has a cold.... He is blowing snot bubbles from his nose and is sneezing. What should I do?

Laura

Hello Laura
What are your temps?
Does Tully is still eating?
If you saw the bubbles after he went into his bowl of water, it could be normal but if not, if I were you, I would take your little one to the vet.

laura121103

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cambridgeshire
Hi

Tully's house temps range from 27-33 C.

I don't think he had just been to his water bowl and also its been quite a few hours now.

My problem is finding a vet with any knowledge of tortoises in my area.

Laura

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
laura121103 said:
Hi

Tully's house temps range from 27-33 C.

I don't think he had just been to his water bowl and also its been quite a few hours now.

My problem is finding a vet with any knowledge of tortoises in my area.

Laura

Your temps seems ok, what are your temps in the cold side?
In which area do you live.

laura121103

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cambridgeshire
The thermometer is down the cooler end of the table and reads 27. His hide out would therefore be a few degrees lower than that I guess.

I live in Cambridgeshire UK.

Laura

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
laura121103 said:
The thermometer is down the cooler end of the table and reads 27. His hide out would therefore be a few degrees lower than that I guess.

I live in Cambridgeshire UK.

Laura

I found this website, There are 2 vets for Cambridgeshire. Maybe you could call them if the are near your places.

http://www.reptilekeeper.co.uk/repvets.php

Since maybe your tortoise has a RI your temps are probably 30 in the warm side since it is 27 in the cold side and 33 under the spot. For now, it is ok because maybe she is sick but when she will be ok, 27 is a bit high for a cold side, the temps should be 22-23.
Is her house in the cold side, if yes,maybe you could put it in the middle, if she is sick, it will be good for her to stay warm.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Laura ~

My only suggestion would be to go out of your area to find a vet that has reptile knowledge; if he has a cold, he is in danger, no doubt about it..
So sorry to hear it, and may God bless ya both!

In my prayers,
Purpod

laura121103

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Cambridgeshire
Thanks for the link ISA - will get on the phone in the morning. They are quite a long way from my home but he is worth the travel.

Fingers crossed he will be OK.

Laura

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
laura121103 said:
Thanks for the link ISA - will get on the phone in the morning. They are quite a long way from my home but he is worth the travel.

Fingers crossed he will be OK.

Laura

You're welcome Laura :)
I keep my fingers crossed for Tully.
keep us updates please.
Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.