Need help identifying species!

Ladybirdbuzz

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Hello all! I've recently been bequeathed a tortoise from my uncle, who sadly suffers dementia and can no longer look after his tortoise 'Flash'.

He's roughly sixty years old and is quite sprightly! He loves a bath and seems to enjoy the odd slice of apple, cucumber and lettuce. Other than this, I've got NO idea what I'm doing.

If any of you smart and savvy tortoise experts can identify his species I might have a better idea how to care for him thanks in advance!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
SIXTY, Nick, SIXTY!!!

I'm never very good at I.D.ing the Testudo species, but I'm going to say it's a Greek tortoise. And he's male.

Welcome to the Forum! The best diet for your tortoise is to be allowed to graze on weeds and grasses. You can supplement with grocery store greens - dark leafy greens like escarole and endive, but broad-leaf weeds and plants are the very best diet for him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On second thought, I don't see any spurs on his back legs, so maybe he's an old male Hermanni. Let's wait to hear from @HermanniChris He'll be able to tell you for sure.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
SIXTY, Nick, SIXTY!!!

I'm never very good at I.D.ing the Testudo species, but I'm going to say it's a Greek tortoise. And he's male.

Welcome to the Forum! The best diet for your tortoise is to be allowed to graze on weeds and grasses. You can supplement with grocery store greens - dark leafy greens like escarole and endive, but broad-leaf weeds and plants are the very best diet for him.
"nick thinks of an excuse". umm umm IM DYSLEXIC!

Ladybirdbuzz

Wow thank you everyone for the response! And don't worry about it Nick :p He's older than me and I get the feeling I'll be giving him to my kids!
I'll make sure he only eats none toxic weeds and leafy greens, sorry Flash, new diet!

I've already googled testudines hermanni boettgeri and I feel a little more genned up now!

As for those who want enclosure pictures I can only say that I've moved from the North of England to the south, so as of this moment he only has a plastic box. In the day when it's sunny I let him out in the garden and if it's a bit cold he wanders around the house. At night he has a plastic box. However for the last five years that he belonged to my uncle, he was kept in a broken down greenhouse, subjected to weather of all kinds! When I'm finally moved into a house I planned to build him a tortoise table, I've seen hundreds of examples online and feel spoiled for choice!

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
Wow thank you everyone for the response! And don't worry about it Nick :p He's older than me and I get the feeling I'll be giving him to my kids!
I'll make sure he only eats none toxic weeds and leafy greens, sorry Flash, new diet!

I've already googled testudines hermanni boettgeri and I feel a little more genned up now!

As for those who want enclosure pictures I can only say that I've moved from the North of England to the south, so as of this moment he only has a plastic box. In the day when it's sunny I let him out in the garden and if it's a bit cold he wanders around the house. At night he has a plastic box. However for the last five years that he belonged to my uncle, he was kept in a broken down greenhouse, subjected to weather of all kinds! When I'm finally moved into a house I planned to build him a tortoise table, I've seen hundreds of examples online and feel spoiled for choice!
his enclosure size should be around 4ft by 8ft. never let you tort roam around you house many torts die this way. we recently had a member who accidentally smashed her torts head by a door.

Ladybirdbuzz

Oh dear! I'll have to confine him to his box and sunny garden days till I'm in better living conditions. Out of curiosity does anyone know how long these guys live for?