Help identifying tortoise

Jordan2274

Hi sorry not sure where to post this, but I'd like some help in identifying this tortoise so i can buy the right things that it needs and know what to feed it as the vegetables/ plants i've tried to feed it hasn't been touched.The owner passed away and I've been asked if I will look after it, all I know is that it's 5 years old. I've had it for 4 days and it still hasn't eaten anything. Thanks for any help.

IMG_20160402_094932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Tortoises handle change very badly. They can take days, weeks or even months to accept the new situation as normal.

Read the Tortoise care sheet. Let us know your setup (pictures save a thousand words) and what the four important temperatures are (Warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum).Incorrect temperatures are frequently the cause of inactivity and failure to eat..

Your tort's diet should be mostly leafy greens. No animal protein. Weeds from your yard are fine as long as there is no risk of chemical contamination). Check out the greens you can buy and thse you can find in your yard on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability.

Jordan2274

Thanks for the replies, I would like to keep him outdoors although I've been told the previous owner just kept him indoors on the carpet with no heat lamp/ lights or a house and that he was just fed pellets.
Currently building an outdoor enclosure, and have ordered a basking lamp and other Supplies for him.
I purchased this house in the mean time along with some zoo med eco earth. Is this OK for him?

I haven't seen him eat or drink while Ive had him for the 4 days and haven't seen him go toilet, although I have put him in a turtle pool to keep him hydrated.

He has been outside today in the sun but he just hid in his shell in the corner of the house. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20160402_171741.jpg
    IMG_20160402_171741.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20160402_171914.jpg
    IMG_20160402_171914.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 37

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Welcome to the forum!

A cute Hermann, GOD bless. Take good care of him: please read the care sheets.

Kori5

Just keep soaking him in lukewarm water. You can add some baby carrot food in the soak. They take a long time to adapt, he is probably stressed. He is a Dalmatian subspecie I believe :). Your substrate sounds great but you should moisten in to make it damp and then let the top layer dry so he can dig if he wants to. Try to offer him a little bit of raddichio, mine loves it. Also, I think the reason why he isn't eating could be that he is addicted to pellets as he had them for his whole life. Do you know which kind? Many tortoises go crazy for Mazuri so you could get some, add some water to make it soft and mix it with his greens :).

Last edited: