Need advice please! (what to get for 2nd tortoise)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Houston / Webster, TX
I'm thinking about getting another tortoise but I would like one that will stay smaller then my sulcata. (much smaller) lol One that will eat a lot of the same stuff and have less heating and humidity issues. I still love my Darwin but my heart is big enough to love two torts! lol Could someone please recommend such a tort?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
RE: Need advice please!

Sounds like you need a Russian. They are much smaller, eat the same diet, and don't have to be heated (if they live outside.) They can get cool at night and they hibernate! Good luck!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon

kimber_lee_314 said:
Sounds like you need a Russian. They are much smaller, eat the same diet, and don't have to be heated (if they live outside.) They can get cool at night and they hibernate! Good luck!

I suggest a Russian as well. I love em'. I even named my male Russian "Sully" after the sulcata type personality he has. ;)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I agree, a Russian. That's what I'm getting. Only because he needs a new home, not because I was looking. I love the stories about their personalities.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal

They don't HAVE to hibernate, but I personally believe it's better for them. Others would disagree with me. There are many opinions on the hibernating issues. It would be best to do your research and make the decision that's right for you.

TortyTom

5 Year Member
Houston / Webster, TX
Looking trough all the pictures of Russians I saw a couple that are very light/blonde or yellow in color! What are those called and where can I find one? I always just see the brown ones!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The lighter ones are usually ones that were kept indoors with very little sun exposure.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Status
Not open for further replies.