Need Advice Nothing Serious(didnt mean for it to be this long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Me & Dave are going centre parcs in september! 5 days!!
About 45 mins drive from us mansfield-sharewood forest

I dont think up to yet anybody to have crush!

Mum, partner and sis going on holiday

Daves mum and dad going to norfolk for 2 weeks!

I hate to admit it but my nan and grandad are not fit enough.

Looking after my cat is next door neighbour (old also, she couldnt do crush)

Hampster, she will last 5 days as she stores food, water will be ok!

Fish has a food block that lasts a wek for food!

So crush...

I am willing to come back to him, but dave doesnt want to come back every night and morning becase of petrol and well is our holiday. I dont want to go now because of crush but dave paid it all for me as a treat!

I read here that you sometimes leave your tortoise!
If I was to come back 2/5 days what would the dangers be?

What about his lights?

Everything is set up all he needs it 2 switches switching on and off in morn and night and frsh food and water! but cant seem to find anybody to do it ATM!

So if I have to leave him..are his lights ok to be on 24/7 for 5 days is he ok to have food then miss a day have food miss a day ETC!

what would you suggest??

Thanks xx

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
I'm not experienced so I can't judge or advise on the food situation, but for the problem with the lights you could get one of those power strips with a timer that way the lights would go on and off whenever you want them to just like if you were around. I'd think that leaving the lights on 24/7 for that week would not only make your electricity bill rise but be really confusing for Crush. :)

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
chikken said:
I'm not experienced so I can't judge or advise on the food situation, but for the problem with the lights you could get one of those power strips with a timer that way the lights would go on and off whenever you want them to just like if you were around. I'd think that leaving the lights on 24/7 for that week would not only make your electricity bill rise but be really confusing for Crush. :)

Yes I understand that, and I have looked at those but means changing all ym lights and stands again..money I cant afford not for just 5 days!

Thanks xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you take him with you? If there's electricity where you're going, just bring his habitat and lights.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
emysemys said:
Can you take him with you? If there's electricity where you're going, just bring his habitat and lights.
Have to pay extra for pets, and its very big habitat lol. Plus if anything that would be my last option if there was no others x

chikken

5 Year Member
CT
Kymiie said:
Yes I understand that, and I have looked at those but means changing all ym lights and stands again..money I cant afford not for just 5 days!

Thanks xx

Why would you have to change all of your lights again just to use a timer? That doesn't seem to make sense. They make really inexpensive light timers that people use for lamps when they go on vacation (to give the impression of being home) that are found at most discount stores. You could cut your lighting down to the necessities and just plug 'em in. For example, Amazon.co.uk has a three pack of light timer switches for £8.00... it doesn't have to be a very expensive endeavor. :)

M

Maggie Cummings

If you can't get anyone to take care of him, take him with you. I don't remember how big Crush is but can't you get a rubbermaid tub ($6) and take him with you? Keep him in the tub and no one has to know you have him...

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
chikken said:
Kymiie said:

Thanks xx

Why would you have to change all of your lights again just to use a timer? That doesn't seem to make sense. They make really inexpensive light timers that people use for lamps when they go on vacation (to give the impression of being home) that are found at most discount stores. You could cut your lighting down to the necessities and just plug 'em in. For example, Amazon.co.uk has a three pack of light timer switches for £8.00... it doesn't have to be a very expensive endeavor. :)

So how do they work, not seen that type before! do you plug the lights into that device then plug the device into the wall?
Thankx

maggie3fan said:
If you can't get anyone to take care of him, take him with you. I don't remember how big Crush is but can't you get a rubbermaid tub ($6) and take him with you? Keep him in the tub and no one has to know you have him...

And if we do get caught? lol I prob seem like im making excuses, I am taking in what you all say I really am but I am someone who always thinks worst x

We know a few petstore that keep animals whilst on holiday so going to ask there at the wekend to see how much that coset, if not then the timers seem good xx

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The light timers are very simple and cheap. You already said it. Just plug the light into the timer and plug the timer in to the wall. Done. Pull the water bowl, so he doesn't soil it on day one and then drink from it on day 4. He'll be fine with no water for 5 days. Just soak him when you get home. Put five days of food in baggies in the fridge with the days labeled and ask the cat lady to just dump in the appropriate baggie each day. Done. Simple. Now go have fun and RELAX.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Tom's advice sounds good but just in case...Brooke left Alfie with her local village petshop and they are looking after her free of charge while she is away...:D

chadk

10 Year Member!
5 days... what will the temps be in the house? Do you have a CHE? Unless your place will get really cold, 5 days of non-optimal temps and lighting would probably be fine. But the timers mentioned above are the obvious answer to that. Just be sure there is NO WA your lights can get knocked over!!!!

Most torts will have to deal with bad weather from time to time in the wild... But how old is your tort? A hatchling will be more delicate of course.

I'd be hesitant of a pet shop - as you'll be exposing your tort to possible pathogens and parasites...

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Id offer to look after crush, but it will add a 6 hour drive to your holiday :p!

The plug timers are inexpensive and will allow your heat lamp/uvb to come on and off as needed.

I left alfie at my local, small, well run pet shop which we use all the time. They have a free holiday service, you just send the food supplements with the tortoise. I dont know if a store near you will have something similar.

I think centre parks only add a charge to an animal which they think will damage (cats and dogs) i think it would be fine to take your crush!

Status
Not open for further replies.