Cut on tortoise neck?

Naroma

Thank you everyone for all your help. I will let you know how tort is getting on. Thanks

M

Maggie Cummings

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

That's a pretty hard place to heal because every time he pulls his head in or pushes it out, it cracks open. They get those from either another tortoise biting him or from the rough part of the shell cutting it. They try to climb and quickly slip down, too fast for them to pull the head in. You can take a little piece of emery cloth and lightly sand the rough edge of the shell. But keep Neosporin or some other type of antibiotic salve on it to keep it soft. If it gets a hard scab, it will only crack and break open with his neck activity.

You don't need to see a vet.

Isn't that what I said with less words???

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi, @Naroma. How is your tort today? Any improvements as far as the injury is concerned? Please let me know asap, though I still believe you should visit/contact a vet.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
On one hand wounds like this are very common and heal without issue. On the other hand, my tort's shell scraped off some tissue on his head (likely what happened in your case unless you're housing this tort with others) and it became infected and only began healing when I administered antibiotics. I feel like antibiotics were necessary in that case as the wound simply was not healing and prolonged infection is dangerous. It's tricky.

I would try treating it with betadine and antibiotic ointment as previously instructed, the ointment will lubricate the wound and allow it to hold itself together instead of reopening every time he extends his neck. Higher humidity will also help keep his skin flexible. If it begins to show signs of infection regardless, get to a vet.

Naroma

Hello everyone....thank you so much for all your help and support. ❤
I went to nearest chemist (drug store) last night unfortunately i could not purchase betadine as it had to be ordered and i wouldnt get it till Tuesday. Neosporin is only available on prescription here (i live in Scotland) I ended up cleaning the abrasion with diluted tea tree oil as i know this is an anti bacterial anti fungal and cleansing properties. I have also applied tea tree cream. I gentled smoothed out the shell with emery cloth. The tort is housed with other torts. It looks much better today. ☺
Thanks again 20160716_145940.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello everyone....thank you so much for all your help and support. ❤
I went to nearest chemist (drug store) last night unfortunately i could not purchase betadine as it had to be ordered and i wouldnt get it till Tuesday. Neosporin is only available on prescription here (i live in Scotland) I ended up cleaning the abrasion with diluted tea tree oil as i know this is an anti bacterial anti fungal and cleansing properties. I have also applied tea tree cream. I gentled smoothed out the shell with emery cloth. The tort is housed with other torts. It looks much better today. ☺
Thanks again View attachment 180488
Oh, your tort is looking much better today. Keep up the good work. :)

Do you have other torts? You mentioned that your torts is housed with other torts. If so PLEASE separate them immediately, so as to avoid bullying. And keep us updated.;)

Naroma

Hello everyone
Tort doing well...thanks
I have never seen any signs of bullying apart from being a little territorial...that is the other siding into the other when they are basking....they were housed with each other when i purchased them.
A layer of skin has grown over the abrasion it looks like it could get rubbed off again but keeping it soft with tea tree cream. All good so far.
Thanks again for help.

Attachments

• 20160717_123105.jpg
    20160717_123105.jpg
    825.3 KB · Views: 6

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
You can't watch them 24/7 so some physical aggression could've occurred when you were away, the shape and location of the wound looks more like an abrasion caused by the shell to me though. Torts often bully each other emotionally, through intimidation and threat of harm, which can lead to other problems like stress-induced illness and starvation (competition for resources). I recommend they be separated, even if they seem to get along there could be some insidious emotional bullying going on in the background.