Napping in his basking spot???

tort_luv_5055

Location (City and/or State)
New York (USA)
Hey guys! Apollo has been doing some strange (yet adorable) things.

First of all he has been changing his bathing habits. Usually its just a quick 10-minute soak and then he wants to get out. He doesn't pee or poop or drink. He crawls onto my hand and nips me if I don't lift him out of the water. But lately he is in (BeeBee's words) Spaaaah land. He actually soaks! He will dip his head into the water and drink. He will poop and pee. Actually, when I went to give him a soak last night, I turned the water on, showed it to him, and he peed!! ON MY HAND!! YUCK. Major yuck.

Not only is he pooping and peeing a lot, he is also showering! I turned the faucet on and let hot water drip into the bath to keep the water temps up. Apollo stood under the hot water and let it drip on his shell. He did this until he pooped, then he wanted to get out. ????is that normal????

Second, he has been burrowing a lot more. Is he just getting ready to hibernate? What is going on? I even caught him sleeping in a burrow under his basking bulb. He didn't go into his log until it was after I gave him a bath. Am I just being a paranoid mom?

While all these things are cute, ( He was sleeping with his head sticking out and resting on his arm under the light, and he was being CRAZY CUTE when the water was dripping on his shell.) they seem very strange. Like really out of the norm for him. Is he just switching stuff up or am I doing something wrong???

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
Since it is probably getting colder and getting to winter where you live he is probably going to be less and less

Sorry about that post ignore it. I was saying that because it is getting cold and getting to winter he will probably get a little less active so that might explain the napping. As for his bathing habits, I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like antler hint too serious or threatening.
Sorry if this isn't what your looking for, just trying to help.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)
Re: RE: Napping in his basking spot???

Darwin_T said:
Since it is probably getting colder and getting to winter where you live he is probably going to be less and less

Sorry about that post ignore it. I was saying that because it is getting cold and getting to winter he will probably get a little less active so that might explain the napping. As for his bathing habits, I'm not sure but it doesn't sound like antler hint too serious or threatening.

Thanks this is exactly what I am looking for, just some reassurance that he is OK. Its my first tort And I know hatchlings are fragile, just trying to do my best! Thank you again!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts

it's great to see your tortoise drink, most people don't. sounds adorable under the facet though :p

most tortoises don't like the baths at first...it took mine weeks to settle down and enjoy it. if my tort hasn't pooped in awhile i will soak her until she does. the whole point of the soak is my make sure he's hydrated so 10 minutes is not long enough, at least 20. that being said, if you see him using his water dish in his enclosure regularly then you do not need to soak him everyday.

and another thing, it sounds like you are bathing him in a sink or tub? tortoises carry diseases in their poop so it's not a good idea to use something people use. also the soap residue from a shower or washing your hands is bad for your tort. buy a cheap plastic bin big enough for your tort and high enough that he cannot climb out.

Russian tortoises are notorious for burying themselves. mine would disappear for days. even though he's inside he can still tell it's winter and he will slow down, not hibernate. make sure he gets to cool down at night, maybe 60-70 °. if he is too hot he will try to escape it from burying in the cool dirt.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
tort_luv_5055 said:
Darwin_T said:

Thanks this is exactly what I am looking for, just some reassurance that he is OK. Its my first tort And I know hatchlings are fragile, just trying to do my best! Thank you again!

Oh your welcome! No problem

Tweeter066

5 Year Member
tort_luv_5055 said:

First of all he has been changing his bathing habits. Usually its just a quick 10-minute soak and then he wants to get out. He doesn't pee or poop or drink. He crawls onto my hand and nips me if I don't lift him out of the water. But lately he is in (BeeBee's words) Spaaaah land. He actually soaks! He will dip his head into the water and drink. He will poop and pee. Actually, when I went to give him a soak last night, I turned the water on, showed it to him, and he peed!! ON MY HAND!! YUCK. Major yuck.

Not only is he pooping and peeing a lot, he is also showering! I turned the faucet on and let hot water drip into the bath to keep the water temps up. Apollo stood under the hot water and let it drip on his shell. He did this until he pooped, then he wanted to get out. ????is that normal????

Second, he has been burrowing a lot more. Is he just getting ready to hibernate? What is going on? I even caught him sleeping in a burrow under his basking bulb. He didn't go into his log until it was after I gave him a bath. Am I just being a paranoid mom?

While all these things are cute, ( He was sleeping with his head sticking out and resting on his arm under the light, and he was being CRAZY CUTE when the water was dripping on his shell.) they seem very strange. Like really out of the norm for him. Is he just switching stuff up or am I doing something wrong???

Is Apollo a Russian I have a Russian named Apollo to

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)

stinax182 said:
it's great to see your tortoise drink, most people don't. sounds adorable under the facet though :p

most tortoises don't like the baths at first...it took mine weeks to settle down and enjoy it. if my tort hasn't pooped in awhile i will soak her until she does. the whole point of the soak is my make sure he's hydrated so 10 minutes is not long enough, at least 20. that being said, if you see him using his water dish in his enclosure regularly then you do not need to soak him everyday.

and another thing, it sounds like you are bathing him in a sink or tub? tortoises carry diseases in their poop so it's not a good idea to use something people use. also the soap residue from a shower or washing your hands is bad for your tort. buy a cheap plastic bin big enough for your tort and high enough that he cannot climb out.

Russian tortoises are notorious for burying themselves. mine would disappear for days. even though he's inside he can still tell it's winter and he will slow down, not hibernate. make sure he gets to cool down at night, maybe 60-70 °. if he is too hot he will try to escape it from burying in the cool dirt.

Thanks for the input! I use a white bin about 1 foot by two and it is small enough to put under the sink. I have the tortoise itself in the bin, then put the bin under the faucet and let it drip in :)

Apollo's a Greek! But still thanks, I know that all these little Mediterranean tortoises are pretty much the same care/behavior so I will take that into note. Thanks!!!!

Darwin_T said:
tort_luv_5055 said:
Darwin_T said:

Oh your welcome! No problem

Lol 'antler hint' :D :) :p

Tweeter066 said:
tort_luv_5055 said:

Is Apollo a Russian I have a Russian named Apollo to

He is a Greek :)

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts

tort_luv_5055 said:
Thanks for the input! I use a white bin about 1 foot by two and it is small enough to put under the sink. I have the tortoise itself in the bin, then put the bin under the faucet and let it drip in :)

oh okay, that's better! if you have trouble keeping the water warm i place it under the basking light in the enclosure, checking on her periodically, of course.

tort_luv_5055

New York (USA)

stinax182 said:
tort_luv_5055 said:

oh okay, that's better! if you have trouble keeping the water warm i place it under the basking light in the enclosure, checking on her periodically, of course.

Okey doke! I just don't think that big bin will fit through the little door on top of the enclosure ;) lol