Zackhally

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi!
I have a Herman’s tortoise who is only one year old, and we currently bathe him once every two days, as advised. The water is always no higher than his chin, and the water temperature is always the same, as it comes out of a controlled tap. We have had him for 8 weeks now, and he normally loves bath time, he’ll stick his head up for “boops” and loves drops on his head. However, today, we gave him a bath under his normal conditions, after 5 minutes he was almost jumping, he was very erratically stretching his back legs and falling onto his front legs, almost jumping and running around the bowl at the same time. We immediately took him out and place him back into his enclosure. Since being in his enclosure, he has rested with his head fully in his shell, which is not normal behaviour for our tort, and has rarely moved. Has anyone experienced this before or will be able to advise me?

Attachments

• 16538D73-D151-4443-AFAA-14271861437D.jpeg
    16538D73-D151-4443-AFAA-14271861437D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you sure, 100% sure that the water was not too hot?
Otherwise, maybe he really had to poop and was having a hard time getting it out.
Moving around helps to get things moving.
Keep an eye on him to see if he starts acting normal or starts acting worse.
Get a point and shoot temp gun and temp the water so you are sure it's a correct temp.

Zackhally

Manchester, UK
Are you sure, 100% sure that the water was not too hot?
Otherwise, maybe he really had to poop and was having a hard time getting it out.
Moving around helps to get things moving.
Keep an eye on him to see if he starts acting normal or starts acting worse.
Get a point and shoot temp gun and temp the water so you are sure it's a correct temp.
Hi, we have an electric tap in our bathroom installed last year and dispenses pretty accurately, we always have this at 30.5C and test with our finger before hand. As previous, he always enjoys bath time and is normally quite relaxed, or sometimes does walk the perimeter of the bowl, and thoroughly enjoys drops of water on his head. I’ve double checked the tap against a strip thermometer (best I currently have) and it’s reading accurate, so I am 99.9% sure. I’m currently keeping an eye on him, an hour later, and he is still in his shell like pictured above, and not really moving.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Give him some time and yes, keep an eye on him and see how it goes.
Maybe something for some odd reason happen to scare him.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Any change with him?

If my tort suddenly shoots into his shell for no apparent reason I pick him up and tip him forward slightly - his head and legs come out - some sort of reflex I think - then I can make sure he's OK.

I hope you can find out what the problem is.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Test the water on your wrist as it is much more sensitive otherwise both my torts thrash when they get soaked. They are throwing a temper tantrum