Well I learned something last night...saved my tort from drowning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nonameredfoot

5 Year Member
My little red foot went to climb into his bath tub over the side (one from petco, high walls on the side with a ramp) he landed face first in the water and couldnt get his hind legs over so he was stuck with his head under the water. I was cleaning his tank at the time thank goodness so I waiting a few seconds to see if maybe he could figure it out but he was indeed stuck and looking very unsure so I pulled him out and took the water tub out as he tried to do it again! I think im going to get a nice shallow serving platter type dish for him thats level with the substrate. I dont even want to imagine what would have happened if it was night and I was sleeping or at work! jeesh, little guys giving me heartattacks just 4 days into having him =P

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Is it this one

097612924121C.jpg

If it is...it's part of the reason I don't like them too much.

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
so very glad you were there to save your little one.

=:eek:

hair raising indeed!

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
My little mini paint roller tray is working ok with the babies but the only thing is there are two dips at the ramp end and they can head dive into the hole and get stuck-I just find I have to watch these babies like a hawk as they usually do what you think they won't manage.

The little tubs they cam in work well too-small round clear plastic and then they can soak separately too.

Pleased your little tort is safe anyhow-they do make you nervous but it does get easier as they get a bit bigger.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Tortoise said:
My little mini paint roller tray is working ok with the babies but the only thing is there are two dips at the ramp end and they can head dive into the hole and get stuck-I just find I have to watch these babies like a hawk as they usually do what you think they won't manage.

The little tubs they cam in work well too-small round clear plastic and then they can soak separately too.

Pleased your little tort is safe anyhow-they do make you nervous but it does get easier as they get a bit bigger.

Maybe you can put river rocks or bigger pebbles in the 1st dip

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Fernando said:
Tortoise said:

Maybe you can put river rocks or bigger pebbles in the 1st dip
Yes I could do that-hadn't thought of filling them up-still experimenting. Thank you.Its nice they have a ramp because if their water cools too much for them etc they can head out of it by themselves and stand on the ramp-I'll try and post a photo if anyone wants to see the roller tray?

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
I use the tray from a budget gourmet macaroni and cheese. It's the perfect size for a little one, I put a few little rocks in the bottom so it's not too deep! They can get in and out super easy and nothing to tip them over with. I bury it flush in their substrate. If you can't find anything suitable, let me know, I'll send you one of mine! Also a clay plant saucer works great too, nice and shallow. Glad you were there, how scary!!!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Happy your little one is okay, I think that is one reason I use small saucer for my little ones.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I like the glazed clay plant saucers- available in several sizes, cheap, easy to bury level with the substrate, heavy enough to resist tipping or flipping, rough enough to allow the tort to climb out, etc.

I wish I could brag that I carefully clean it daily, but in reality I only do that when I see a reason to... and a couple pieces of floating cypress mulch don't count!

I had one guy one time upside down in the saucer, but it was shallow enough that drowning was not likely. Scary nonetheless, and never repeated.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
To date I have never had a tortoise overturned in the water bowl, I have found them form time to time upside down in their enclosures but never in the water bowl. I use terra cotta saucers, frozen food plates, basically anything shallow and that will hold water.

Nonameredfoot

5 Year Member
Great ideas everyone! I gave him a bath today in the mean-time which he seemed to like :)

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
I Only use the paint roller tray for soaks too not all the time for water. My babies too get on well with a shallow terracotta saucer and the water is shallow in that too so if they did flip they would still be above the water.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Nonameredfoot said:
My little red foot went to climb into his bath tub over the side (one from petco, high walls on the side with a ramp) he landed face first in the water and couldnt get his hind legs over so he was stuck with his head under the water. I was cleaning his tank at the time thank goodness so I waiting a few seconds to see if maybe he could figure it out but he was indeed stuck and looking very unsure so I pulled him out and took the water tub out as he tried to do it again! I think im going to get a nice shallow serving platter type dish for him thats level with the substrate. I dont even want to imagine what would have happened if it was night and I was sleeping or at work! jeesh, little guys giving me heartattacks just 4 days into having him =P

Planter saucers are perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.